Determine the reverse saturation current for the diode

In summary, to determine the reverse saturation current for the diode, use the formula Id = Is(e^(VD/(h*25mV))-1) and input the values of VS = 5V, R = 360Ω, and diode current of 10mA. Rearrange the formula to solve for Is and the answer is 4.43x10^-12. However, there may be some discrepancy when using this value to solve for VD, so further investigation is needed.
koop011
Determine the reverse saturation current for the diode below, given that VS = 5V, R = 360Ω produces a diode current of 10mA. Use h = 1.3 and VT = kT/q = 25mV.
WMPfQgx.jpg

I believe this is the formula needed.
Id = Is(e^(VD/(h*25mV))-1)

The problem I had was I've done several questions similar to this but I was always given the Is (the reverse saturation I believe). But this time it's the reverse.

I've tried to solve this by retracing from

10mA = Is(e^(0.7/(1.3*25mV))-1)

(0.7V was supplied one time, since i needed to find other VD when Id(mA) = 1, 5, 10, 20)

and the answer I got was 4.43x10^-12

Seemed right until I put the numbers back in and tried getting the VD. I think i got somewhere around 662V or something instead of 0.7.

Any idea how to go about this?

Much thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
koop011 said:
the answer I got was 4.43x10^-12
That's the value of IS that I calculate.

1. What is reverse saturation current for a diode?

Reverse saturation current, also known as leakage current, is the small amount of current that flows through a diode in the opposite direction of its intended flow when a reverse voltage is applied. This current is typically very small, on the order of nanoamps or picoamps.

2. How is reverse saturation current measured?

Reverse saturation current can be measured using a multimeter in diode test mode. The diode is placed in reverse bias and the resulting current is measured. This value can also be determined from the diode's datasheet or through simulation.

3. What factors affect the reverse saturation current of a diode?

The reverse saturation current of a diode is affected by factors such as temperature, doping concentration, and the physical properties of the semiconductor material. Higher temperatures and higher doping concentrations can result in an increase in reverse saturation current.

4. Why is it important to determine the reverse saturation current for a diode?

Knowing the reverse saturation current for a diode is important in order to accurately model and predict the behavior of the diode in a circuit. It is also a key parameter in determining the diode's breakdown voltage and maximum reverse voltage rating.

5. How does the reverse saturation current affect the performance of a diode?

The reverse saturation current can affect the performance of a diode by causing increased power dissipation and decreased efficiency. It can also lead to unwanted leakage currents in a circuit, which can affect the accuracy and reliability of the circuit's operation.