1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole moment

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A needle suspended from a string hangs horizontally. The electric field at the needle’s location is horizontal with a magnitude 3.7*103 N/C and is at an angle of 30° with the needle. There is no net electrical force acting on the needle, but the string exerts a torque of 3.7*10-3 to hold the needle in equilibrium. What is the needle’s dipole moment?

I know that [tex]
    \overrightarrow \tau = \overrightarrow {\rm{p}} \times \overrightarrow {\rm{E}} \,\,
    [/tex]

But I can't simply re-write it as [tex]
    \frac{{\overrightarrow \tau }}{{\overrightarrow {\rm{E}} }} = \overrightarrow {\rm{p}} \,\,\,\,
    [/tex]
    , can I? I don't think you can do this to a cross-product. How can I solve for the dipole moment?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    You will only be able to that if p and E are perpendicular, in which case they are not. Do you remember how to find the magnitude of a cross product? Sin(x) maybe?mm?

4. Feb 17, 2008 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know its |A x B| = |A||B| sin(x). But in this problem, I don't know what A is. That's what I'm trying to solve for.

|A x B|
    ------- = |A|. This looks like a dead end.
    |B|

5. Feb 17, 2008 #4
    how about
    [tex] p=\frac{\tau}{sin(\theta) E}[/tex] ?

6. Feb 17, 2008 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I do that, then I'm dividing units of Nm by N/C, which gives me mC. The book doesn't talk about this, and my class notes are not very good, but I think that is the right unit for dipole moment, meters*coulombs?

If so, I get 3.7e-4/sin(30) *3.7e3 = 2.738 mC for the answer.

If this is correct, don't go away, because I'm still not confident I understand this.

7. Feb 17, 2008 #6
    m*C are the correct units.
    I see some inconsistencies in your signs and values for your exponents to the ones you stated originally.

8. Feb 17, 2008 #7

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, my original question should have been 3.7*10^3 N/C and 3.7*10^-4 for torque. (I imagine you knew that 103 meant 10^3 :) )

9. Feb 17, 2008 #8

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

t is a vector, and so is E. But in the division that got me 2.738 mc, I divided only their magnitudes. Was this right? I'm guessing they want p to be a vector with direction. It will either be into or out of the board. How do I know which?

10. Feb 18, 2008 #9

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, now I follow your chain of logic. Thanks for your help. I've got a scalar as an answer, and I still need to assign it a direction. Any thoughts?

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \overrightarrow \tau = \overrightarrow {\rm{p}} \times \overrightarrow {\rm{E}} \, \\
    \\
    \left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} \times \overrightarrow {\rm{E}} } \right| = \left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} } \right|\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{E}} } \right|\sin \theta \\
    \\
    \overrightarrow \tau = \left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} } \right|\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{E}} } \right|\sin \theta \,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} } \right|\, = \frac{{\,\overrightarrow \tau }}{{\left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{E}} } \right|\sin \theta }}\,\,\, \\
    \\
    \left| {\overrightarrow {\rm{p}} } \right|\, = \frac{{3.7 \times 10^{ - 4} {\rm{N}} \cdot {\rm{m}}}}{{\sin \theta \cdot 3.7 \times 10^3 {\rm{N/C}}}} = 2.7{\rm{ C}} \cdot m \\
    \,\,\,\, \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?