Dirac delta function as the limit of a seqquence

In summary, the Dirac delta function can be seen as the limit of a sequence that tends to infinity at x=0 and approaches zero for all other values of x. However, there are additional constraints that must be satisfied, such as the integral over the whole real line being equal to one. It is not enough for the sequence to just satisfy the conditions stated in the first post. Additionally, certain operations, such as multiplying by a constant or taking the square root, may not preserve this convergence to the Dirac delta function.
krishna mohan
Dirac delta function as the limit of a sequence

Hi..

If I have a sequence which in some limit tends to infinity for x=0 and goes to zero for x[tex]\neq[/tex]0, then can I call the limit as a dirac delta function?

If not, what are the additional constraints to be satisfied?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me refine that..

If the integral of a member of the sequence over the whole real line is one, along with the conditions stated in previous post, can the limit of the sequence be identified with a dirac delta?

Or are the conditions of the first post enough??

Let fn be any sequence of positive functions that converges (in the sense of distributions) to the dirac delta.

Then 2fn does not converge to the dirac delta.

Also, I believe [itex]\sqrt{f_n}[/itex] converges to 0.

Also,
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} g_n(x) = 0[/tex]​
does not imply
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} g_n = 0[/tex]​
(the second limit in the sense of distributions)

In fact, I'm pretty sure you can find a sequence that satisfies the first equation whose limit is [itex]\delta(x-1)[/itex].

What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is often used to represent a point mass or impulse in physics and engineering.

How is the Dirac delta function defined as the limit of a sequence?

The Dirac delta function can be defined as the limit of a sequence of functions that become taller and narrower as the sequence approaches infinity. These functions are also known as "approximations" of the Dirac delta function.

Why is the Dirac delta function important in mathematics and physics?

The Dirac delta function is important because it allows us to represent point-like objects or events in a continuous system. It is also used in many mathematical and physical equations, such as in Fourier analysis and quantum mechanics.

How does the Dirac delta function relate to the concept of a point mass or impulse?

The Dirac delta function can be thought of as a mathematical representation of a point mass or impulse. Just as a point mass has a mass concentrated at a single point, the Dirac delta function has an infinite value at a single point.

What are some real-world applications of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function has many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. It is often used to model and analyze systems with sudden changes or impulses, such as in electrical circuits or particle collisions.