What is the meaning of the \sum signal in this direct current circuit problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a circuit and finding the current through an ammeter. One person asks about the meaning of the symbol \sum in the problem, while another wonders if setting up I = I1 + I2 and using Kirchhoff's loop law is the correct approach. They also mention attaching a picture of the problem and ask for help finding the answer. Another person explains that the symbol \sum means "sum of" and suggests fixing the picture attachment. The original poster thanks them and asks for help finding the potential to the right of the ammeter and the potential to the left of a 5 ohm resistance. They also ask for help calculating I_1 and I_2 and using Kirch
zvee_y
I've attached the problem in this post, so that's way yall can see the problem and picture easily.

The Attempt at a Solution

what is this signal [tex]\sum[/tex] means in the problem?
THe problem said they find the ammeter in the cirucuit read 2A, I just wonder is it the total current?
If i set up I = I1 + I2, then in loop 1 (top loop) I can use I and I1 to; and in loop 2(bottom loop) I can use I and I2 in order to find the currents. Is it correct? Please give me a hint. Thank you!
scan0006.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The symbol is a capital Sigma, it generally means sum of ( ie add them all up )
ps - You don't seem to have attached the picture properly

Thanks. I did fixed the picture. Can anyone please help me out?

define the potential to the point to the right of the ammeter to be 0.
call the potential to the left of th 5 ohm resistance U.
What must U be to make the current through the ammeter equal to 2A?
Once you have U you can calculate I_1 and the use kirchhof's current law to get I_2

Go around the bottom loop and go around the top loop using Kirchoff's loop law, then find I3 through the ammeter in terms of I1 and I2. 3 equations and 3 unknowns.

I want answer for questions, wuold you help mme?

Unfortunately no one can give you the answer, per PF rules. Show your work and we'll help you if you have problems.

Related to What is the meaning of the \sum signal in this direct current circuit problem?

1. What is a direct current circuit?

A direct current circuit is an electrical circuit in which the current flows in only one direction, from the positive terminal of the power source to the negative terminal. This is in contrast to an alternating current circuit, where the current periodically changes direction.

2. How does a direct current circuit work?

In a direct current circuit, the flow of electrons is unidirectional. The electrons flow from the negative terminal of the power source, through the circuit, and back to the positive terminal. This flow of electrons creates a continuous current that can power devices.

3. What are the components of a direct current circuit?

The main components of a direct current circuit include a power source, such as a battery, a conductor, such as a wire, and a load, such as a light bulb or motor. Other components may include resistors, capacitors, and switches to control the flow of current.

4. What are the advantages of using a direct current circuit?

Direct current circuits are often used in electronics because they are easier to control and more efficient than alternating current circuits. They also have a steady flow of energy, making them ideal for devices that require a constant supply of power.

5. How is a direct current circuit different from an alternating current circuit?

The main difference between a direct current circuit and an alternating current circuit is the direction of the current flow. In a direct current circuit, the current flows in one direction, while in an alternating current circuit, the current changes direction periodically. Additionally, direct current circuits are typically used for low voltage applications, while alternating current circuits are used for higher voltage applications.