Direction of a vector after I have already found magnitude

In summary, the x component of a vector is -16.2 m and the y component is +54.6 m. The magnitude of the vector is 56.95 m and the angle between the direction of the vector and the positive direction of x is approximately 1.855 radians.
wbetting

Homework Statement

The x component of vector is -16.2 m and the y component is +54.6 m. (a) What is the magnitude of ? (b) What is the angle (in radians) between the direction of and the positive direction of x?

Homework Equations

magnitude of vector is sqrt of a^2+b^2
direction of vector is tan theta= ay/ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I got A part correct by finding the magnitude using sqrt of a^2+b^2= 56.95m but i can't seem to get b part. i did inverse tan of 56.4m/-16.2m and got -1.28 radians and its wrong. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did 56.4/-16.2.
Your given info, however states that the y component is +54.6 m.

So:
inverse tan (54.6/-16.2) is your answer.

That was a typo. I have been calculating inverse tan of 54.6/-16.2 and get -1.28 which is wrong according to the automatic grader

The inverse tangent function cannot "tell" whether the negative sign is to be associated with the numerator or denominator in its argument; ##\frac{-y}{x}## is indistinguishable from ##\frac{y}{-x}##. It will return a value that is in the range -90 ≤ θ ≤ +90 degrees.

You need to apply some smarts regarding the signs of the given components in order to place the resulting vector in the correct quadrant; You may have to add or subtract 180° (##\pi## radians) from the value it gives you in order to "shift" the quadrant.

Alternatively, if your calculator has an atan2(y,x) function, then it'll handle the signs automatically. It may also have a "rectangular to polar" conversion capability which will both find the magnitude and the proper angle for you in one step.

oh ok so since -16.5 x and 54.6 y puts it in the 2nd quadrant the angle has to be between 90 and 180. -73.47 is in the 4th quadrant so by adding 180 to that and converting it to radians i get 1.855 radians which is correct!

1. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector refers to its size or length, while the direction of a vector refers to the path it takes from its starting point to its ending point.

2. How do I determine the direction of a vector after finding its magnitude?

To determine the direction of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to find the angle between the vector and a reference axis, such as the x-axis or y-axis.

3. Can the direction of a vector be negative?

No, the direction of a vector is always expressed in a positive angle or in terms of direction (e.g. North, South, East, West). Negative values are only used to represent the opposite direction.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is typically measured in degrees or radians, depending on the reference system being used. It can also be expressed in terms of direction, such as N for North or E for East.

5. How does the direction of a vector affect its overall movement?

The direction of a vector determines the path it takes from its starting point to its ending point. Changing the direction of a vector will result in a different final position, even if the magnitude remains the same.