Directional Derivatives and Commutation

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove that directional derivatives do not commute and the use of a vector identity to find a solution. The final solution is given, but the individual is looking for an explanation of the vector identity used.
tnb

Homework Statement

I need to prove that directional derivatives do not commute.

Homework Equations

Thus, I need to show that:
[tex]
(\vec{A} \cdot \nabla)(\vec{B} \cdot \nabla f) - (\vec{B} \cdot \nabla)(\vec{A} \cdot \nabla f) = (\vec{A} \cdot \nabla \vec{B} - \vec{B} \cdot \nabla \vec{A}) \cdot \nabla f
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the following vector identity:

[tex] \nabla (\vec{C} \cdot \vec{D}) = (\vec{C} \cdot \nabla) \vec{D} + (\vec{D} \cdot \nabla) \vec{C} + \vec{C} \times (\nabla \times \vec{D}) + \vec{D} \times (\nabla \times \vec{C}) [/tex]

And got:

[tex] \vec{A} \cdot \left[ \vec{B} \times (\nabla \times \nabla f) + (\vec{B} \cdot \nabla)\nabla f + \nabla f \times (\nabla \times \vec{B}) + (\nabla f \cdot \nabla) \vec{B} \right] - \vec{B} \cdot \left[ \vec{A} \times (\nabla \times \nabla f) + (\vec{A} \cdot \nabla)\nabla f + \nabla f \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) + (\nabla f \cdot \nabla) \vec{A} \right] [/tex]

Then I reduced this to:

[tex] \vec{A} \cdot \left[ \nabla f \times (\nabla \times \vec{B}) + (\nabla f \cdot \nabla) \vec{B} \right] - \vec{B} \cdot \left[ \nabla f \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) + (\nabla f \cdot \nabla) \vec{A} \right] [/tex]

I am not sure how to proceed from here or if I even am on the right track. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I found a solution but would still find it useful if someone could explain the vector identity used:

(A⃗ ⋅∇)(B⃗ ⋅∇f)−(B⃗ ⋅∇)(A⃗ ⋅∇f) =
[tex] \vec{B} \cdot \left[ (\vec{A} \cdot \nabla ) \nabla f \right] + (\vec{A} \cdot \nabla \vec{B}) \cdot \nabla f - \vec{A} \cdot \left[ (\vec{B} \cdot \nabla ) \nabla f \right] + (\vec{B} \cdot \nabla \vec{A}) \cdot \nabla f [/tex]

The second and third terms cancel and yield the given answer.

Last edited:

1. What are directional derivatives?

Directional derivatives are a type of derivative in multivariable calculus that measures the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. They are used to find the slope of a function in a specific direction, as opposed to traditional derivatives which find the slope at a specific point.

2. How do you calculate directional derivatives?

To calculate a directional derivative, you first need to know the gradient of the function at the point of interest. Then, you take the dot product of the gradient vector and a unit vector in the desired direction. This will give you the directional derivative in that direction.

3. What is the relationship between directional derivatives and commutation?

The relationship between directional derivatives and commutation is that they both involve finding the rate of change of a function. Commutation specifically refers to the order in which partial derivatives are taken, while directional derivatives refer to the direction in which the function is being differentiated. In some cases, the order of taking partial derivatives may not affect the final result, but this is not always the case.

4. When are directional derivatives useful in scientific research?

Directional derivatives are useful in scientific research when studying systems that involve multiple variables and complex functions. They can be used to analyze the behavior of a system in a specific direction, which can provide valuable insights into how the system functions as a whole.

5. How does the concept of commutation apply to real-world scenarios?

The concept of commutation can be applied to real-world scenarios in a variety of ways. For example, in physics, it can be used to determine the order in which forces are applied to an object, which can affect the final outcome. In engineering, it can be used to optimize the order of operations in a process, leading to more efficient and effective results. Additionally, understanding commutation can also help in making decisions about the organization and prioritization of tasks in various industries.