Directrix when talking about an ellipse?

• Thread starter sponsoredwalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the directrix of an ellipse is a line that, together with the focus, defines the shape of the ellipse. It is perpendicular to the major axis and its distance from the center is equal to the semi-major axis divided by the eccentricity. This relationship between the focus, directrix, and eccentricity is what defines an ellipse as a conic section.
sponsoredwalk
Hey what is the directrix when talking about an ellipse?

I found a book that finally shed light on what eccentricity was, but there's still no mention of what the directrix is.

To be honest, it doesn't even explain eccentricity but I intuitively understand it, however the directrix is something that I don't understand with reference to an ellipse, nor how to find it nor why anybody wants to.

Perhaps you could shed some light on how to go about finding it.

Attachments

• Ellipse.jpg
    Ellipse.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 916
Mathematics news on Phys.org

If I am not mistaken, the directrix is not drawn in that figure. This might help.

Attachments

• 424px-Ellipse_parameters.svg.png
    424px-Ellipse_parameters.svg.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,518

Thanks, I know what the directrix is it's just that I don't know how to calculate it given an equation (nor why you'd even want to). I don't see the relationship to anything discussed when talking about ellipses (maybe why It took me so long to even see it in a book).

Take an equation;

[tex] \frac{x^2}{9} \ + \frac{y^2}{16} \ = \ 1 [/tex]

I calculate the focus(es) to be;

c = ±√(a² - b²) = ±√(16 - 9) = ±√7

Where a is the semi-major axis (4²) and b is the semi-minor axis (3²) here.

The eccentricity to be;

e = c/a = (√7)/4

But how do I calculate the directrix, and why would I want to?

That's all I'd really like to know, if anybody knows why please let me know.

For an ellipse the equation of directrix is given by x=± a/e. It's been a while since I've studied them and its late here so I have to go to bed now :). I'll revise my course tomorrow and try to find out the answer to that tomorrow.

Meanwhile this might help.
"The directrix of a conic section is the line which, together with the point known as the focus, serves to define a conic section as the locus of points whose distance from the focus is proportional to the horizontal distance from the directrix, with r being the constant of proportionality. If the ratio r=1, the conic is a parabola, if r<1, it is an ellipse, and if r>1, it is a hyperbola"

Thanks for your responses,

After your reply I understand the following quote form wikipedia a little better;

Each focus F of the ellipse is associated to a line D perpendicular to the major axis (the directrix) such that the distance from any point on the ellipse to F is a constant fraction of its distance from D. This property (which can be proved using the Dandelin spheres) can be taken as another definition of the ellipse. The ratio between the two distances is the eccentricity e of the ellipse; so the distance from the center to the directrix is a/e.

So I went ahead and made a "paint" ellipse and this is what came out of it;

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8403/directrix.jpg

Then I measured the ratio of the line from the focus to the point & the directrix to the point & you get the eccentricity.

It all makes sense now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice, here's another definition I found while looking for a better explanation.
"A Conic is the set of all the points whose distance from a fixed point bears a constant ratio to its distance from a fixed line. The fixed point is called the focus, the fixed line is called the directrix and the constant ratio is known as the eccentricity of the conic."

Related to Directrix when talking about an ellipse?

1. What is the directrix of an ellipse?

The directrix of an ellipse is a line that is perpendicular to the major axis and located at a distance of one-half the length of the major axis from the center of the ellipse.

2. How is the directrix related to the focus of an ellipse?

The directrix and the focus of an ellipse are always equidistant from the center of the ellipse. The distance between the focus and the center is equal to the distance between the directrix and the center.

3. Can the directrix of an ellipse be inside the ellipse?

No, the directrix is always located outside of the ellipse. It is a line that extends infinitely in both directions and does not intersect with the ellipse.

4. What is the purpose of the directrix in an ellipse?

The directrix helps to define the shape of the ellipse and is used in the mathematical equations to calculate the position of the focus and the shape of the ellipse.

5. How does the directrix affect the eccentricity of an ellipse?

The directrix has no direct effect on the eccentricity of an ellipse. The eccentricity is determined by the distance between the foci and the length of the major axis, not the location of the directrix.