Help Max Get Started on a Discrete Math Proof for Sum of Consecutive Integers

In this case, you can let b_i be the sum of the first three numbers, then the next three, and so on. You'll end up with b_1, b_4, b_7, \dots, b_{10} which are all consecutive and must have a sum greater than or equal to 17. This contradicts the assumption that all b_i are less than or equal to 16.In summary, the previous knowledge about the average of a set of numbers being greater than or equal to one of the numbers is used to prove that if the first 10 integers are placed around a circle, there must be three consecutive integers with a sum greater than or equal to 17. This is done by assuming the
maxsthekat
I'm completely stumped on how to begin a discrete math proof, and I'm looking for a little advice on what might be a good way to approach this.

In a previous problem I did a proof by contradiction to show that at least one of the real numbers a1, a2, ... an is greater than or equal to the average of these numbers.

This was done by a1 + a2 + ... + an < nA.
By definition, A = (a1 + a2 + ... + an)/n, which is a contradiction of the assumption, and therefore proving a1, a2, ... an [tex]\le[/tex] average of these numbers.

However, now I'm supposed to use this info to prove that if the first 10 integers are placed around a circle, in any order, there exists three integers in consecutive locations around the circle that have a sum greater than or equal to 17.

I have no idea where to go with this. Can someone give me a pointer that could help me start?

Thanks!

-Max

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]b_i[/itex] be the ith number plus its two neighbors. Then you wish to show that for at least one i you have [itex]b_i \geq 17[/itex], so for the sake of contradiction assume [itex]b_i \leq 16[/itex] for all i. Now compute the average [itex]A=(b_1+\cdots+b_{10})/10[/itex] and apply your previous result.

Thanks, rasmhop :)

So, with the contradiction, in order to show that the contradiction is false, can I take any set of three integers to show it is false? For example, can I simply assert there would be a ring where 8, 9, and 10 are neighbors, and thus the contradiction is false?

I'm still not quite certain how the knowledge from the previous problem is useful. I see that A = 5.66, which means that one of the integers selected will be bigger than 6. Yet, this alone doesn't seem to imply there will be neighbors that will ensure the result is greater than 17.

Thanks again :)

maxsthekat said:
I'm still not quite certain how the knowledge from the previous problem is useful. I see that A = 5.66, which means that one of the integers selected will be bigger than 6. Yet, this alone doesn't seem to imply there will be neighbors that will ensure the result is greater than 17.
Your average is incorrect. [itex]b_1+\cdots+b_{10}[/itex] counts each number of 1,2,...,10 three times so we have,
[tex]A = \frac{b_1+b_2+\cdots+b_{10}}{10} = \frac{3(1+2+\cdots+10)}{10} = 165/10 > 16[/tex]
The average is larger than 16, so at least one b_i must be larger than 16 which contradicts that they are all less than or equal to 16.

So, with the contradiction, in order to show that the contradiction is false, can I take any set of three integers to show it is false? For example, can I simply assert there would be a ring where 8, 9, and 10 are neighbors, and thus the contradiction is false?
No because you're supposed to prove it for all possible ways to place the numbers around the circle and in general 8,9,10 won't be consecutive.

1. What is a discrete math proof?

A discrete math proof is a logical argument that uses mathematical concepts and principles to prove a statement or theorem. It involves breaking down a problem into smaller, discrete components and using mathematical properties and rules to demonstrate the validity of the statement.

2. How do I get started on a discrete math proof for the sum of consecutive integers?

The first step is to clearly state the problem or theorem you are trying to prove. Then, you can start by making a list of all the known information and any given conditions. Next, you can try to identify any patterns or relationships between the numbers and use them to develop a hypothesis. Finally, you can use mathematical reasoning and principles to prove your hypothesis.

3. What are some common strategies for solving discrete math proofs?

Some common strategies for solving discrete math proofs include induction, contradiction, and direct proof. Induction involves proving a statement for a base case and then using a recursive argument to prove it for all cases. Contradiction involves assuming the statement is false and showing that it leads to a contradiction, thus proving the statement is true. Direct proof involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to show that the statement is true.

4. What are some tips for writing a clear and concise discrete math proof?

Some tips for writing a clear and concise discrete math proof include clearly stating the problem and all given information, using precise mathematical language and notation, organizing your proof in a logical manner, and explaining each step thoroughly. It is also important to double check your work and make sure your proof is valid and complete.

5. Can you provide an example of a discrete math proof for the sum of consecutive integers?

Yes, an example of a discrete math proof for the sum of consecutive integers is as follows:
Problem: Prove that the sum of the first n consecutive integers is n(n+1)/2.
Proof:
Base case: For n=1, the sum is 1, which is equal to 1(1+1)/2.
Inductive hypothesis: Assume the statement is true for n=k, i.e. the sum of the first k consecutive integers is k(k+1)/2.
Inductive step: Now, we want to prove that the statement is true for n=k+1. The sum of the first k+1 consecutive integers is (k+1) + k(k+1)/2 = (k+1)(k+2)/2, which is equal to (k+1)[(k+1)+1]/2. Therefore, the statement is true for n=k+1.
By induction, the statement is true for all n. Hence, the sum of the first n consecutive integers is n(n+1)/2.