Discrete Mathematics - (A∪B)-(A∩B)=(A-B)∪(B-A) - prove by cases?

In summary, if x is any member of the universal set, then one of four "cases' applies: 1) x is in A but not in B. 2) x is in B but not in A. 3) x is in both A and B. 4) x in in neither A nor B.
nigara
Discrete Mathematics - (A∪B)-(A∩B)=(A-B)∪(B-A) - prove by cases??

Hi, I'm new to these forums so please redirect me if I've posted this in the wrong place.
I'm trying to graduate and this is my last class, but as I'm not a math major, I'm really struggling with this particular problem. I've been able to manage most other simple proofs pretty well, but this one has me stumped:

(A∪B)-(A∩B)=(A-B)∪(B-A)

The instructor hinted that this problem could/should be done with Proof by Cases. Any chance someone could walk me through this?? Like I said, I've managed to handle other similar problems but the elements of this one have me thrown... any help would be appreciated. I tend to learn well by example, but there's nothing in my notes/textbook that show a similarly structured problem...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't see how to do it with with proof by cases. I would do it by expanding the set operations into set builder definitions. [itex]\left(A \cup B \right) - \left( A \cup B \right) = \left\{ a : \left( a \in A \vee a \in B \right) \wedge \neg \left( a \in A \wedge a \in B \right) \right\} [/itex] and [itex]\left( A-B \right) \cup \left( B-A \right) = \left\{ a : \left( a \in A \wedge a \notin B \right) \vee \left( a \in B \wedge a \notin A \right) \right\}[/itex]. You could prove that [itex]\left( a \in A \wedge a \notin B \right) \vee \left( a \in B \wedge a \notin A \right) \Leftrightarrow \left( a \in A \vee a \in B \right) \wedge \neg \left( a \in A \wedge a \in B \right)[/itex], which would imply what you wish to show.

That would be the hard way to do it. Hopefully, someone will come along and explain the method your instructor was referring to.

If x is any member of the universal set, then one of four "cases' applies:
1) x is in A but not in B.
2) x is in B but not in A.
3) x is in both A and B.
4) x in in neither A nor B.

For each of those cases, determine if x is in [itex]A\cup B- A\cap B[/itex] and if it is in [itex](A- B)\cup(B- A)[/itex]. If, in every case, x is in one if and only if it is in the other, then the two sets are equal.

HallsofIvy said:
3) x is in both A and B.

For each of those cases, determine if x is in [itex]A\cup B- A\cap B[/itex] and if it is in [itex](A- B)\cup(B- A)[/itex]. If, in every case, x is in one if and only if it is in the other, then the two sets are equal.

OH! That's a lot simpler.

HallsofIvy said:
3) x is in both A and B.

Could you please show me how the case: xεΑ and xεΒ,

Would make the sets: [itex]A\cup B- A\cap B[/itex] and [itex](A- B)\cup(B- A)[/itex]. equal??

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete or countable objects, such as integers, graphs, and statements. It is used in computer science, cryptography, and other fields to study and solve problems involving finite or discrete structures.

2. What is the concept of sets in discrete mathematics?

A set is a collection of distinct elements or objects. In discrete mathematics, sets are used to represent and manipulate finite or countable objects. Set operations, such as union, intersection, and complement, are important concepts in discrete mathematics.

3. What does A∪B mean in the equation (A∪B)-(A∩B)=(A-B)∪(B-A) - prove by cases?

In this equation, A∪B represents the union of sets A and B, which is the set of all elements that are in A or B (or both). In other words, it is the combination of all elements from both sets without duplicating any elements.

4. How can we prove the equation (A∪B)-(A∩B)=(A-B)∪(B-A) by cases?

We can prove this equation by considering two cases: when an element belongs to both A and B, and when an element belongs to either A or B (or both). By using the definitions of set operations and applying logical reasoning, we can show that both sides of the equation are equal.

5. Why is understanding discrete mathematics important?

Discrete mathematics provides a foundation for solving real-world problems involving finite or discrete objects. It is used in various fields, such as computer science, engineering, and finance, to model and analyze systems and processes. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in many areas of life.