What is the relationship between sets and elements in this problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a relationship expressed in mathematical notation. The individual asking for help requests an explanation in plain English and proposes a solution, but another participant points out a flaw in the proposed solution. The conversation also reveals a lack of understanding of set theory concepts.
JulianneK
Hi all I was wondering if you could help me with this problem:

[PLAIN]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4306/giflatexl.gif

Could someone explain this relationship in plain english for me please?

[PLAIN]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/338/codecogseqno.gif

This is what I was thinking, but I think it is wrong:

frogs(f) is a set of frogs where f is an element within the set F. Therefore frogs(toadie) is a set where toadie is an element of F. Therefore frogs(frogs(toadie)) means the set {toadie} is an element of F?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You lost me with the first sentence. Seems to me if F is a set of frogs and f ε F, then f is a frog. So "the set of frogs of f" doesn't make sense to me.

Not being set theory expert, I may be missing something.

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical structures and objects that are countable or can be separated into distinct and finite pieces. It includes topics such as set theory, graph theory, and combinatorics.

2. What are functions in discrete mathematics?

In discrete mathematics, a function is a rule that assigns a unique output value for every input value. It is a fundamental concept used to describe relationships between different mathematical objects.

3. How are functions represented in discrete mathematics?

Functions in discrete mathematics can be represented in various ways, such as using algebraic expressions, tables, graphs, or mappings. Each representation has its own advantages and can be used to solve different types of problems.

4. How are functions used in real-world applications?

Functions are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as computer science, engineering, economics, and physics. They help in modeling and analyzing relationships between different variables and finding solutions to practical problems.

5. What are some common types of functions in discrete mathematics?

Some common types of functions in discrete mathematics include linear functions, quadratic functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions. Each type has its own distinct characteristics and can be used to model different types of relationships.