Calculating Displacement from a Velocity-Time Graph

In summary, Simon Bridge suggests that instead of relying on formulas or authority, you should try to understand the physics behind what you're doing and use the equations to communicate your results.
oldspice1212
Hey guys, so I'm having some trouble, not sure if back of the book is wrong or if I'm doing it wrong, probably me though lol.

Alright so I have this graph,

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/wqqf.jpg/It's asking me to find displacement at 10.0s.

So I know that displacement = area of a velocity- time graph,

therefore at first I assumed it was a trapezoid but that didn't make sense so I used area formulas separately and am getting,

1/2bh+bh+1/2bh

Using this formula I get 39 m/s2 East but in the back it shows as 36 m/s2 East.1/2(5)(6)+(3)(6)+1/2(2)(6)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get a bit more disciplined in your use of formulas ... 1/2bh+bh+1/2bh
(= A) makes no sense since it basically says that the total area is 2bh.

You want to say something like:
##\small d=\frac{1}{2}vT_1 + vT_2 + \frac{1}{2}vT_3##

The idea is to understand the physics, then use the equations in such a way that you are communicating what you are doing... that way you'll have more confidence in your results.

To see where you are going wrong, or right for that matter, you need to show your working.

oldspice1212 said:
Hey guys, so I'm having some trouble, not sure if back of the book is wrong or if I'm doing it wrong, probably me though lol.

Alright so I have this graph,

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/wqqf.jpg/

It's asking me to find displacement at 10.0s.

So I know that displacement = area of a velocity- time graph,

therefore at first I assumed it was a trapezoid but that didn't make sense so I used area formulas separately and am getting,

1/2bh+bh+1/2bh

Using this formula I get 39 m/s2 East but in the back it shows as 36 m/s2 East.

1/2(5)(6)+(3)(6)+1/2(2)(6)

Yes, you are right. Except the units are m. Not m/s^2.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Yes, you are right. Except the units are m. Not m/s^2.

Thought so, and yes m, lol sorry about that, been doing all these acceleration questions must have put it by habbit.

@simon Bridge, I actually did do it that way, but was too lazy to put it like that on the forums ;).

A better way to do it, for understanding, is divide it into variable velocity and constant velocity parts, and calculate the displacement separately. Just saying area is the displacement doesn't with understanding.

oldspice1212 said:
@simon Bridge, I actually did do it that way, but was too lazy to put it like that on the forums ;).
Oh OK - then you should have had more confidence in your result.
The underlying question here is, "How can you tell when you have the right answer - without having to use some authority?"

Simon Bridge said:
Oh OK - then you should have had more confidence in your result.
The underlying question here is, "How can you tell when you have the right answer - without having to use some authority?"

You're right, I thought I was right for quite some time, but other times I felt uncertain since when the book has all the right answers and you look and it's wrong. It also doesn't hurt to double check on the forums, right? :)

There's also the metadata - 36 vs 39, especially if the book is old enough to have been set in movable type ... someone just read the number upside down: it's a plausible typo.

Interestingly it can hurt ...if the responses are along the lines of "yeah you got it right".
Asking on forums can become a crutch - take care huh?

While you have this resource - you can make full use of it - post the complete working, lay it out, show all your reasoning, look for ways to improve how you go about things. There is so much we do here.

1. What is a displacement v - t graph?

A displacement v - t graph, also known as a position-time graph, is a visual representation of an object's position or displacement over a specific period of time. It shows how an object's position changes as time passes.

2. How is displacement calculated from a v - t graph?

Displacement on a v - t graph is represented by the slope of the line. The steeper the slope, the greater the displacement. To calculate displacement, you can use the equation: displacement = average velocity x time.

3. What does a straight line on a displacement v - t graph represent?

A straight line on a displacement v - t graph represents a constant velocity. This means that the object is moving at a steady speed in a straight line, and its displacement is changing at a constant rate.

4. What does a curved line on a displacement v - t graph represent?

A curved line on a displacement v - t graph represents a changing velocity. This means that the object is either accelerating or decelerating, and its displacement is changing at a non-constant rate.

5. How can you determine an object's velocity from a displacement v - t graph?

Velocity on a displacement v - t graph is represented by the slope of the line. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity. To calculate velocity, you can use the equation: velocity = displacement / time.