Displaying time in 24h format?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary: It is strange how they come up Demographics, Business etc. Quantcast is a website that provides weird statistics. For example, it claims that Physics Forums is visited by 100,000+ people every day.
Borek
Mentor
Is it possible to display time in 24h format? I have a feeling it was possible before I left for vacations, but I can be wrong.

24h format plus dd.mm.yyyy please :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
Is it possible to display time in 24h format? I have a feeling it was possible before I left for vacations, but I can be wrong.

blah, I changed it to 24h and everyone whined, now I set it back... can't please everyone :cry:

Problem is the culture difference, Borek, between both sides of the atlantic, also mm.dd.yyyy. Somebody will always be confused.

The majority of users, I believe, are in the US.

Does it have to be identical for all forum members? I know that phpBB & SMF allow per user configuration of date & time formats. I will take care about my cultural habits by myself, just give me the opportunity :wink:

Evo said:

Hah, this is exactly why Americans are not liked in many places - they don't understand that others can be different :devil:

Borek said:
Hah, this is exactly why Americans are not liked in many places - they don't understand that others can be different :devil:
:smile: We understand and agree that everyone needs to get on board with our standards. :tongue2:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Borek said:

blah, I changed it to 24h and everyone whined, now I set it back... can't please everyone :cry:
Joking aside, the date format is quite irritating to those of us outside the U.S.. Decades of experience allow me understand "dd/mm/yy" instantly, but I have to think for a few seconds when I see "mm.dd.yy".

Wouldn't the best solution be an unambiguous format such as "03-Sep-2008"?

Evo said:
Not according to this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=252402

Evo said:
:smile: We understand and agree that everyone needs to get on board with our standards. :tongue2:
Two American tourists, Billy Ray and Bobby Joe (let's say), are shipwrecked and find themselves washed ashore on a remote Polynesian island. After scouting around they discover two things: they are likely stuck on the island for weeks or even years, and the natives spoke a strange and difficult language. A nervous Billy confides to Bobby, "Bobby Joe, this is going to be hard ... real hard. We're going to have to teach all these here folk how to speak English."

Gokul43201 said:
I wonder what the real percentage is, I believe there is a website that showed where people were hitting the forum from and the majority then was the US.

Two American tourists, Billy Ray and Bobby Joe (let's say), are shipwrecked and find themselves washed ashore on a remote Polynesian island. After scouting around they discover two things: they are likely stuck on the island for weeks or even years, and the natives spoke a strange and difficult language. A nervous Billy confides to Bobby, "Bobby Joe, this is going to be hard ... real hard. We're going to have to teach all these here folk how to speak English."
So true, hard to believe there are still places that don't speak English. :wink: Hey, English is not my first language, btw. I spoke French before learning English.

Evo said:
I wonder what the real percentage is, I believe there is a website that showed where people were hitting the forum from and the majority then was the US.
Greg provided these statistics in the Library article on the history of physicsforums.

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=83 said:
Demographics:
PF average 100,000+ visitors, 100+ new members and 1000+ posts per day.

80% search engines, 10% referral sites, 10% direct traffic

80% of our visitors are from North America. 10% Europe, 5% asia and 5% other.

55% use Internet Explorer. 38% use FireFox. 5% Safari, 1% Opera

70% on high speed internet, 10% dialup

88% on Windows, 8% Mac, 3% Linux

Looks like some changes have been made to the date/time display format. Old posts are time-stamped like this:
Aug 26th, 08, 04:51 AM

I like the date format change. Thanks Greg.

The new date format looks weird and will take some getting use to, but given our international usership this is an excellent compromise.

Evo said:

http://www.quantcast.com/physicsforums.com/geo
weird statistics. It is strange how they come up Demographics, Business etc.

Ok, now the date display format looks odd, there's supposed to be a space between the month and the day, right? This is how it looks now:
Aug29-08, 07:54 AM

Defennder said:
Ok, now the date display format looks odd, there's supposed to be a space between the month and the day, right? This is how it looks now:
Aug29-08, 07:54 AM
I believe Greg said it was a space issue, if I am remembering correctly.

1. Why is the 24-hour format used instead of the 12-hour format?

The 24-hour format is used in scientific and technical fields because it eliminates the need for AM and PM designations, making it easier to record and compare data. It also provides a clear and unambiguous way to express time without confusion or errors.

2. How do I convert a time from the 12-hour format to the 24-hour format?

To convert a time from the 12-hour format to the 24-hour format, simply add 12 to any time after 12:00 PM. For example, 3:00 PM would become 15:00 in 24-hour format.

3. Is the 24-hour format used globally?

Yes, the 24-hour format is used globally in many countries, including the United States, Canada, and most of Europe. It is also the standard format for military and aviation industries.

4. Can I change the time format on my computer or phone to 24-hour format?

Yes, most electronic devices and computers have the option to switch between 12-hour and 24-hour format. This can usually be done in the device's settings or preferences.

5. Why is the 24-hour format preferred for scientific research?

The 24-hour format is preferred for scientific research because it provides a continuous and consistent way to record and compare data without the need for conversion or interpretation. It also allows for more precise and accurate measurement of time intervals.