Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displaying time in 24h format?

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Is it possible to display time in 24h format? I have a feeling it was possible before I left for vacations, but I can be wrong.

24h format plus dd.mm.yyyy please :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2
    blah, I changed it to 24h and everyone whined, now I set it back... can't please everyone :cry:

4. Aug 25, 2008 #3
    Problem is the culture difference, Borek, between both sides of the atlantic, also mm.dd.yyyy. Somebody will always be confused.

5. Aug 25, 2008 #4

Evo

The majority of users, I believe, are in the US.

6. Aug 25, 2008 #5

Borek

Does it have to be identical for all forum members? I know that phpBB & SMF allow per user configuration of date & time formats. I will take care about my cultural habits by myself, just give me the opportunity :wink:

7. Aug 25, 2008 #6

Borek

Hah, this is exactly why Americans are not liked in many places - they don't understand that others can be different :devil:

8. Aug 25, 2008 #7

Evo

:smile: We understand and agree that everyone needs to get on board with our standards. :tongue2:

9. Sep 3, 2008 #8

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Joking aside, the date format is quite irritating to those of us outside the U.S.. Decades of experience allow me understand "dd/mm/yy" instantly, but I have to think for a few seconds when I see "mm.dd.yy".

Wouldn't the best solution be an unambiguous format such as "03-Sep-2008"?

10. Sep 3, 2008 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not according to this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=252402

Two American tourists, Billy Ray and Bobby Joe (let's say), are shipwrecked and find themselves washed ashore on a remote Polynesian island. After scouting around they discover two things: they are likely stuck on the island for weeks or even years, and the natives spoke a strange and difficult language. A nervous Billy confides to Bobby, "Bobby Joe, this is gonna be hard ... real hard. We're gonna have to teach all these here folk how to speak English."

11. Sep 3, 2008 #10

Evo

I wonder what the real percentage is, I believe there is a website that showed where people were hitting the forum from and the majority then was the US.

So true, hard to believe there are still places that don't speak English. :wink: Hey, English is not my first language, btw. I spoke French before learning English.

12. Sep 4, 2008 #11

Defennder

Homework Helper

Greg provided these statistics in the Library article on the history of physicsforums.

Looks like some changes have been made to the date/time display format. Old posts are time-stamped like this:
    Aug 26th, 08, 04:51 AM

13. Sep 4, 2008 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I like the date format change. Thanks Greg.

14. Sep 4, 2008 #13

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The new date format looks weird and will take some getting use to, but given our international usership this is an excellent compromise.

15. Sep 4, 2008 #14
    http://www.quantcast.com/physicsforums.com/geo
    weird statistics. It is strange how they come up Demographics, Business etc.

16. Sep 5, 2008 #15

Defennder

Homework Helper

Ok, now the date display format looks odd, there's supposed to be a space between the month and the day, right? This is how it looks now:
    Aug29-08, 07:54 AM

17. Sep 5, 2008 #16

Evo

I believe Greg said it was a space issue, if I am remembering correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?