Distance between vector and a plane proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof and provides feedback on the presentation of the work. The feedback includes tips for using LaTeX and points out errors in the notation used. The conversation ends with a suggestion to be consistent in using arrows above vectors.
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

tumblr_nuq1vqB4I01ro1rr3o1_1280.jpg

Homework Equations

Since this a proof. Most of the equations I needed were involved in the solution I created.

The Attempt at a Solution

tumblr_nuq1vqB4I01ro1rr3o2_1280.jpg

I believe my proving is valid; however, I was wondering if I might have missed a step or did some math that didn't make sense,

Physics news on Phys.org
TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

tumblr_nuq1vqB4I01ro1rr3o1_1280.jpg

Homework Equations

Since this a proof. Most of the equations I needed were involved in the solution I created.

The Attempt at a Solution

tumblr_nuq1vqB4I01ro1rr3o2_1280.jpg

I believe my proving is valid; however, I was wondering if I might have missed a step or did some math that didn't make sense,
Your proof is going in the right direction, but your handwritten work is hard to read in places (especially the latter half), is not well organized, and your notiation is sloppy in several places.

We prefer that posters show the work, either as plain text or using LaTeX, instead of posting images. Images are often difficult to read, and we can't insert a comment into the middle of an image to point out an error.

We have a LaTeX tutorial here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
Most of what you have written in longhand can be done fairly simply in LaTeX:
  • Vectors -- ##\vec{PQ}## -- the script for this is # #\vec{PQ}# # (no spaces between the # characters
  • Fractions -- ##\frac{u + v}{w}## -- this is # #\frac{u + v}{w}# #
  • Dot product - use \cdot to make that dot
  • Cross product - use \times
The only place where an image would be helpful is your sketch of the plane and the points in it and point Q.

Some of the places where your notation is sloppy are in your last equation, which looks like this:
$$\frac{\vec{PR} \cdot (\vec{PS} \times PQ)}{|\vec{PR} \times P} = \frac{PQ \cdot (\vec{PR} \times \vec{PS})}{DR \times PS}$$
I have written the above exactly as it appears in the image you posted.
The main things wrong are the following:
  • You are missing a | in the denominator on the left side of the equation.
  • You wrote P in the denom. on the left side - you probably mean PS.
  • On the right side, you are missing the absolute values in the numerator.
  • On the right side, in the denominator, what you wrote looks like DR, not PR.
  • Also in the right side denominator, PR X PS is a vector, and division by vectors is not defined. You need the magnitude bars there for the norm of that vector.

Nits
Try to be consistent in writing the arrows above your vectors. Some of them you put in, and some you don't. Either put them everywhere they belong or don't put them anywhere.

Thank you for the feedback. I will make sure to use latex ask questions about future problems!

1. What is the definition of the distance between a vector and a plane?

The distance between a vector and a plane is the length of the perpendicular line segment from the vector to the plane.

2. How can the distance between a vector and a plane be calculated?

The distance can be calculated using the formula: d = |ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d| / √(a2 + b2 + c2), where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the plane and (a, b, c) is the normal vector of the plane.

3. What is the significance of the distance between a vector and a plane?

The distance between a vector and a plane is important in many applications, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the shortest distance between an object and a surface, or to determine if a point lies on a specific plane.

4. Can the distance between a vector and a plane be negative?

No, the distance between a vector and a plane is always a positive value. This is because the distance is calculated as the length of a line segment, which cannot be negative.

5. Are there any special cases when calculating the distance between a vector and a plane?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. If the vector lies on the plane, the distance is 0. If the vector is parallel to the plane, the distance is the distance between the vector and any point on the plane. And if the vector is perpendicular to the plane, the distance is the absolute value of the constant term in the plane's equation.