Distance from the origin to the curve

In summary: F = \frac{D}{dx} = \frac{D}{(x(t))^2} + \frac{D}{(y(t))^2}t_{m} = \frac{x(t_{m})-x_0}{(y(t_{m})-y_0)}The point at which the minimum distance is attained will be (x(t_{m}), y(t_{m})) and the minimum distance will be:\sqrt{(x(t_{m}))^{2} + (y(t_{m}))^{2}}
physicsCU
Anyone know the formula to find the minimum distance from the origin to the curve, and find that point on the curve that is the minimum distance from the origin.

This is for a programming problem in MATLAB, so thanks for any help!

EDIT: By the way, I don't know the points on the curve, so i need to minimize the distance using points that i need to determine.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the distance formula: [tex] D = \sqrt{(y_2-y_1)^2 + (x_2-x_1)^2}[/tex].

Differentiate and solve for the shortest distance.

Jameson said:
Use the distance formula: [tex] D = \sqrt{(y_2-y_1)^2 + (x_2-x_1)^2}[/tex].

OK, I got the D, but both x and y are described as functions of time, so how do I get t?

X and Y are the coordinates of the curve. Actually, since one point is the origin you can rewrite the equation as:

[tex] D = \sqrt{(y_1)^2 + (x_1)^2}[/tex]

This is because the point (0,0) has no effect on the answer if you put it in.

------
You said you wanted to know how to find the shortest possible distance from the point to the curve, why are you talking about time? i don't understand the question.

It is easier to work with the squared distance, rather than the distance.

So, putting together the ideas of Jameson and arildno, Let x = x(t), y = y(t), then

[tex]F = D^{2} = (x(t))^{2} + (y(t))^{2}[/tex]

Take the derivative of F with respect to t and set it to zero.

The time at which the minimum distance is attained will be one of the values of t that satisfy the resulting equation, call it [tex]t_{m}[/tex]. The point at which the minimum distance is attained will be [tex](x(t_{m}), y(t_{m}))[/tex] and the minimum distance will be:

[tex]\sqrt{(x(t_{m}))^{2} + (y(t_{m}))^{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
I found the output D, but I need to find the input.

However, this is a programming problem, not a calculus problem, so I have to figure out the code.

jimmysnyder said:
So, putting together the ideas of Jameson and arildno, Let x = x(t), y = y(t), then

[tex]F = D^{2} = (x(t))^{2} + (y(t))^{2}[/tex]

Take the derivative of F with respect to t and set it to zero.

The time at which the minimum distance is attained will be one of the values of t that satisfy the resulting equation, call it [tex]t_{m}[/tex]. The point at which the minimum distance is attained will be [tex](x(t_{m}), y(t_{m}))[/tex] and the minimum distance will be:

[tex]\sqrt{(x(t_{m}))^{2} + (y(t_{m}))^{2}}[/tex]

You explained it correctly, you need to take the derivative and set it equal to zero. So why did you say the minimum distance was [tex]\sqrt{(x(t_{m}))^{2} + (y(t_{m}))^{2}}[/tex]? I just don't understand and would like clarification if possible.

You differentiate [tex]x^2 + y^2[/tex] and set it equal to zero, getting
[tex]2x + \frac{dy}{dx} * 2y = 0[/tex]

Differentiate with respect to t.

Related to Distance from the origin to the curve

1. What is the distance from the origin to a point on a curve?

The distance from the origin to a point on a curve is known as the radius. It is the length of a line segment that connects the origin (0,0) to the specified point on the curve.

2. How do you calculate the distance from the origin to a curve?

To calculate the distance from the origin to a curve, you can use the distance formula, which is √(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2. In this formula, (x1,y1) represents the coordinates of the origin and (x2,y2) represents the coordinates of the point on the curve.

3. Can the distance from the origin to a curve be negative?

No, the distance from the origin to a curve cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the length of a line segment.

4. How does the distance from the origin to a curve affect the shape of the curve?

The distance from the origin to a curve, or the radius, determines the size of the curve. A larger radius will result in a larger curve, while a smaller radius will result in a smaller curve. It also affects the curvature of the curve, with a larger radius resulting in a more gradual curve and a smaller radius resulting in a sharper curve.

5. Can the distance from the origin to a curve be infinite?

No, the distance from the origin to a curve cannot be infinite. It is always a finite value, even if the curve extends infinitely in one or both directions. This is because the distance from the origin to any point on the curve can be calculated using the distance formula.