Distance of Particle from Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum distance between two particles, where one is resting on the origin and the other is traveling along the path of f(x) = -cos(x-7)+3. The attempt to find the minimum distance involves finding the derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0. However, it is mentioned that there are an infinite number of values for which the derivative is 0, and the correct way to find the distance is by using Pythagoras' theorem. The conversation also touches on estimating the distance and using numerical methods to get an estimate, as solving it algebraically would be too complicated.
syeh
Question:

Particle A is resting on the origin. Particle B travels along the path of f(x)=-cos(x-7)+3. What is the minimum distance that the particles can be apart?

Attempt:

I tried to find the minimum of f(x)=-cos(x-7)+3. So I found when the derivative is 0:
dy/dx= sin(x-7)
0=sin(x-7)
x=7
So I plugged that into the original equation: f(7)= -cos0+3= -1+3= 2. So the point (7,2) is a possible minimum/maximum.
Using the First Derivative Number Line Test, I found that the point (7,2) is a minimum.

Does that mean that is the point where Particle B is closest to the origin??

Assuming it does, I attempted to find the line connecting (7,2) and the origin, and then to find the length of that curve on the interval x=[0,7]:

y=mx+b
to find m using the 2 points (0,0) and (7,2):
m=(2-0)/(7-0)= 2/7

b is 0 because it does through (0,0)

y=(2/7)x

Length=∫[from 0 to 7] sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx
dy/dx=2/7
so, Length=∫[from 0 to 7] sqrt(1+(2/7)^2)dx
=∫[from 0 to 7] 1.04 dx
=[1.04x]from 0 to 7
=(using f(b)-f(a)): (1.04*7)-(1.04*0)
=7.28

That was my final answer: when Particle B is closest to the origin/Particle A, it is 7.28 units away.

Is this right? Or on the right path? I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
syeh said:
Question:

Particle A is resting on the origin. Particle B travels along the path of f(x)=-cos(x-7)+3. What is the minimum distance that the particles can be apart?

Attempt:

I tried to find the minimum of f(x)=-cos(x-7)+3. So I found when the derivative is 0:
dy/dx= sin(x-7)
0=sin(x-7)
x=7
So I plugged that into the original equation: f(7)= -cos0+3= -1+3= 2. So the point (7,2) is a possible minimum/maximum.
Using the First Derivative Number Line Test, I found that the point (7,2) is a minimum.

Assuming it does, I attempted to find the line connecting (7,2) and the origin, and then to find the length of that curve on the interval x=[0,7]:

y=mx+b
m=(2-0)/(7-0)= 2/7

y=(2/7)x

dy/dx=2/7
=∫[from 0 to 7] 1.04 dx
=[1.04x]from 0 to 7
=7.28

That was my final answer: when Particle B is closest to the origin/Particle A, it is 7.28 units away.

I don't see how that can be right. The graph of the cosine function is always between 2 and 4, so the farthest a particle on that path could be from the origin would be 4, which is quite a bit less than the number you got.

I'll take a closer look at your calculations and report back.

syeh said:
dy/dx= sin(x-7)
0=sin(x-7)
x=7
There are an infinite number of values for which the derivative is zero: {..., 7 - 2##\pi##, 7 - ##\pi##, 7, 7 + ##\pi##, 7 + 2##\pi##, ...}.

Also, there is a much easier way to find the distance from (7, 2) to the origin. Using Pythagoras, the distance is ##\sqrt{7^2 + 2^2} ##. In any case, this point isn't the closest to the origin.

Mark44 said:
There are an infinite number of values for which the derivative is zero: {..., 7 - 2##\pi##, 7 - ##\pi##, 7, 7 + ##\pi##, 7 + 2##\pi##, ...}.

Also, there is a much easier way to find the distance from (7, 2) to the origin. Using Pythagoras, the distance is ##\sqrt{7^2 + 2^2} ##. In any case, this point isn't the closest to the origin.

thanks. i see how Pythagorean's theorem works. But i am still confused how to find when the function is closest to the origin.??

syeh said:
thanks. i see how Pythagorean's theorem works. But i am still confused how to find when the function is closest to the origin.??

If you mean that the particle A is sitting at (0,0) and particle B is somewhere along the curve (x,-cos(x-7)+3) then you can graph it and try to estimate closest distance. It's a bit over 2. You can also use Pythagoras to get an expression for the distance and try to minimize it with calculus. But it will be too complicated to solve with algebra. You'd have to use numerical methods to get an estimate.

Last edited:
Dick said:
If you mean that the particle A is sitting at (0,0) and particle B is somewhere along the curve (x,-cos(x-7)+3) then you can graph it and try to estimate closest distance. It's a bit over 2. You can also use Pythagoras to get an expression for the distance and try to minimize it with calculus. But it will be too complicated to solve with algebra. You'd have to use numerical methods to get an estimate.

thanks. i used the Pythagorean theorem and found the length to be 2.084!

syeh said:
thanks. i used the Pythagorean theorem and found the length to be 2.084!

Well, I get something a lot closer to 2.1. I'm not sure what you did. But if you realize you have to estimate the answer that's a start.

Last edited:
syeh said:
Question:

Attempt:

I tried to find the minimum of f(x)=-cos(x-7)+3.
WHY?? You are asked to minimize the distance to the origin, [tex]d= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= \sqrt{x^2+ f^2(x)}[/tex], not y= f(x).

Of course, minimizing the distance will also minimize the square of the distance so you can drop the square root and look at [tex]d^2= x^2+ f^2(x)= x^2+ (3- cos(x- 7))^2= x^2+ 9- 6 cos(x- 7)+ cos^2(x- 7)[/tex].

Differentiate that.

So I found when the derivative is 0:
dy/dx= sin(x-7)
0=sin(x-7)
x=7

y=mx+b
m=(2-0)/(7-0)= 2/7

y=(2/7)x

dy/dx=2/7
=∫[from 0 to 7] 1.04 dx
=[1.04x]from 0 to 7
=7.28

1. What is the definition of distance of a particle from the origin?

The distance of a particle from the origin is the length of the straight line connecting the particle's current position to the origin point, which is usually denoted as (0,0) on a graph.

2. How is the distance of a particle from the origin calculated?

The distance of a particle from the origin can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the distance is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the particle's x and y coordinates.

3. Can the distance of a particle from the origin be negative?

No, the distance of a particle from the origin is always a positive value. This is because distance is a measurement of length, and length cannot be negative. However, the particle's position from the origin can be negative if it is in the negative x or y direction.

4. How does the distance of a particle from the origin change as the particle moves?

The distance of a particle from the origin can either increase or decrease as the particle moves. If the particle moves towards the origin, the distance decreases. If the particle moves away from the origin, the distance increases. In both cases, the distance is always measured as the shortest straight line between the particle and the origin.

5. What is the significance of knowing the distance of a particle from the origin?

The distance of a particle from the origin is important in many scientific fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It can help determine the position, speed, and direction of a moving object, as well as its acceleration and potential energy. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the behavior of waves and other physical phenomena.