Distance traveled by projectile in Free Fall

In summary, the object falls from rest off a building, with a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/sec^2. The object travels half the building in its last 1 secs of its fall before hitting the ground. What is the height of the building?
fluidity

Homework Statement

An object falls from rest off a building, with a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/sec^2.
The object travels half the building in its last 1 secs of its fall before hitting the ground. What is the height of the building?

[tex]v_0 = 0[/tex]
[tex]a = 9.8[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the distance traveled by the projectile for the first half of the building is given by
y= (1/2)gt^2

Now that I know that after traveling that half the height of the building it spends another second traveling the other half.

So now 2y=(1/2)g(t+1)^2

Now by arranging the first equation I get t=√(2y/g)
If I substitute that into the second equation for the variable t I get

2y= y + g√(2y/g) + (1/2)g

After this I've attempted way to get at the right answer such as using the quadratic formula but I got wrong answers. The right answer is 57.1 m, however I haven't been successful in getting to that answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Well done, your equation does give the right answer. You just made a mistake somewhere in solving it.

If I had to guess, I would say that you probably forgot that this particular quadratic equation yields [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex] so you must square the answer (and then of course multiply by 2 since you defined the building to be a height 2y)

(Quadratic equation is [itex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex] and so in this case you have [itex]a\sqrt{y}^2+b\sqrt{y}+c=0[/itex] and so [itex]x=\sqrt{y}[/itex] and so you'll have to square the answer you get)

Wow thanks, I didn't look at the quadratic formula in that perspective. My method of finding the answer was different compared to the Mastering Physics solution, but it gave the same exact number. So once again I want to say thanks, I really appreciate the help!

fluidity said:
My method of finding the answer was different compared to the Mastering Physics solution, but it gave the same exact number.

Don't worry, it happens often. I think your method was an excellent one. (The textbook solutions are not always the simplest.)

fluidity said:
I want to say thanks, I really appreciate the help!

No problem! But you did most of the work :-p

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few issues with your equations and calculations. Here is a clearer and more systematic approach:

First, we can set up the following equations for the two halves of the building:

First half: y = (1/2)gt^2
Second half: y = (1/2)g(t+1)^2

Next, we can set these two equations equal to each other, since the total distance traveled by the object is equal to the height of the building:

(1/2)gt^2 = (1/2)g(t+1)^2

We can simplify this equation by dividing both sides by (1/2)g, which cancels out on both sides:

t^2 = (t+1)^2

Expanding the right side, we get:

t^2 = t^2 + 2t + 1

Subtracting t^2 from both sides, we get:

0 = 2t + 1

Subtracting 1 from both sides, we get:

-1 = 2t

Dividing both sides by 2, we get:

t = -1/2

This is not a valid solution, as time cannot be negative. This means that our original assumption that the object spends 1 second traveling the second half of the building is incorrect. We need to adjust this assumption to make the solution work.

Let's try assuming that the object spends t seconds traveling the second half of the building. This means that it spends (1-t) seconds traveling the first half of the building. We can set up the following equations for each half:

First half: y = (1/2)g(1-t)^2
Second half: y = (1/2)gt^2

Setting these two equations equal to each other, we get:

(1/2)g(1-t)^2 = (1/2)gt^2

Dividing both sides by (1/2)g, we get:

(1-t)^2 = t^2

Expanding the left side, we get:

1 - 2t + t^2 = t^2

Subtracting t^2 from both sides, we get:

1 - 2t = 0

Adding 2t to both sides, we get:

1 = 2t

Dividing both sides by

Related to Distance traveled by projectile in Free Fall

1. How is the distance traveled by a projectile in free fall calculated?

The distance traveled by a projectile in free fall is calculated using the equation d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance traveled in meters, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. Does the mass or size of the projectile affect the distance traveled in free fall?

No, the mass or size of the projectile does not affect the distance traveled in free fall. The only factors that affect the distance are the acceleration due to gravity and the time in free fall.

3. How does air resistance impact the distance traveled by a projectile in free fall?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the distance traveled by a projectile in free fall. As the projectile falls, it experiences air resistance, which can slow it down and decrease the distance traveled. However, in most cases, the effect of air resistance is negligible.

4. At what point does the distance traveled by a projectile in free fall start to decrease?

The distance traveled by a projectile in free fall starts to decrease once it reaches its terminal velocity. This is the point at which the downward force of gravity is equal to the upward force of air resistance, resulting in a constant velocity and no further increase in distance traveled.

5. Can the distance traveled by a projectile in free fall be greater than the height from which it was dropped?

No, the distance traveled by a projectile in free fall cannot be greater than the height from which it was dropped. This is because the time in free fall and the distance traveled are directly proportional, and the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height is limited by the acceleration due to gravity and the terminal velocity.