Distribution system electrical engineering

In summary, the point along the track where minimum potential occurs is 3.425 km from the first sub-station and the currents supplied by both sub-stations when the train is at the point of minimum potential are 170.45 A and 129.55 A respectively.
Ra3ad
Dear all I need help in the following Q and I spent so long to solve it. Will appreciate your contribution. Thanks

Main Q:
An electric train runs between 2 sub-stations 6 km apart maintained at voltages 600V and 590V respectively and draws a constant current of 300A while in motion. The track resistance of go and return path is 0.04 Ω/km.

calculate :
(i) The point along the track where minimum potential occurs
(ii) The current supplied by the two sub-stations when the train is at the point of minimum potential

Final answer to be reached
[3.425km, 170.45A, 129.55A] 7.

Physics news on Phys.org
425km, 170.45A, 129.55A]Solution:(i) The point along the track where minimum potential occursThe point where the minimum potential occurs lies 3.425 km from first sub-station.(ii) The current supplied by the two sub-stations when the train is at the point of minimum potential We can use Ohm's Law in this case to calculate the currents supplied by both sub-stations when the train is at the point of minimum potential. Let I1 and I2 denote the current supplied by each sub-station respectively. The total resistance of the track is given by, R = (6/1000) Ω/km * 0.04 Ω/km = 0.24 Ω Therefore, applying Ohm's Law, I1 = (590 - 600)/0.24 = -10/0.24 = -41.67 A I2 = (600 - 590)/0.24 = 10/0.24 = 41.67 A Therefore, current supplied by the first sub-station is -41.67 A and the current supplied by the second sub-station is 41.67 A. To find the currents when the train is at the point of minimum potential, we need to take into account the fact that the train draws a constant current of 300 A while in motion. Therefore, the total current supplied by the two sub-stations must add up to 300 A. Therefore, I1 + I2 = 300 => -41.67 + 41.67 = 300 => 170.45 A + 129.55 A = 300 A Therefore, the current supplied by the first sub-station when the train is at the point of minimum potential is 170.45 A and the current supplied by the second sub-station is 129.55 A. Hence, the answer is [3.425km, 170.45A, 129.55A].

1. What is a distribution system in electrical engineering?

A distribution system in electrical engineering is a network of electrical components, such as transformers, wires, and switches, that deliver electricity from a power source to end-users. It is responsible for distributing power at lower voltages and currents to homes, businesses, and other buildings.

2. How does a distribution system work?

A distribution system works by receiving high-voltage electricity from a power plant or substation and transforming it to lower voltages for local use. This is done through a series of transformers and switchgear. The power is then distributed through a network of power lines and cables to reach the end-users.

3. What are the main components of a distribution system?

The main components of a distribution system include transformers, switchgear, power lines, cables, and meters. Transformers are used to step down the voltage, switchgear controls the flow of electricity, power lines and cables carry the electricity, and meters measure the amount of electricity used by the end-users.

4. What are the challenges in designing a distribution system?

Some challenges in designing a distribution system include ensuring reliable and efficient power delivery, maintaining voltage stability, and minimizing power losses. Factors such as weather conditions, distance from the power source, and load demand also need to be considered in the design process.

5. How is a distribution system maintained and upgraded?

A distribution system is maintained through regular inspections, maintenance, and repair of its components. Upgrades to the system may also be necessary to improve its efficiency and reliability. This can include replacing old equipment, adding new components, or implementing new technologies such as smart grid systems.