Solving for Horizontal Distance and Angle of Release in Dive Bomber Problem

• Thread starter MJC8719
  • Start date
In summary, the bomb will travel horizontally between its release from the plane and its impact on the ground for a distance of 6772.10 meters.
MJC8719
A bomber is flying horizontally over level terrain, with a speed of 265 m/s relative to the ground, at an altitude of 3200 m. Neglect the effects of air resistance.

(a) How far will a bomb travel horizontally between its release from the plane and its impact on the ground?

(b) At what angle from the vertical (less than 90°) should the telescopic bombsight be set so that the bomb will hit the target seen in the sight at the time of release?

Hey,

So this problem has been giving me a little trouble.

I believe I have solved for part A correctly:
vy^2 = -2g(change in y)
vy^2 = -2(-9.8)(3200)
vy = 250.4396

vy = -gt
250.4396 = 9.8t
t = 25.5551

horizontal distance = 25.5551 x 265 = 6772.10 m

I am really having trouble understanding what part B is asking for. If someone could put me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the effective angle that the bomb falls at?

Ok so this may seem like a stupid question, but what exactly does that mean? I cannot think of a formula to relate to this...i am guessing i want to set up something up that will allow me to determine the angle at which the bomb is dropped that allows it to have enough time to hit the target accurately. Basically, I need to determine the at what angle the bomb will hit its target given a time

So in this case, It takes the bomb 25.56 seconds to fall and it covers a horizontal distance of 6772.10 meters and hits the ground. I cannot figure out how to determine whether or not the bomb will have accurately hit the target...if someone could give me a little nudge in the right direction that would be great

Does the question involve a picture? I just want to know if you are looking for the angle between the line of sight and the vertical or between the line of sight and the horizonatal...I would assume it is the former (vertical).

Edit: I should have read the OP more carefully. Sorry:rolleyes: Have you by any chance drawn a picture of this?
Hint:
Photo23.jpg
Do you know of a relationship between the horizontal distance X, the altitude Y and the angle phi? What do you know about the right triangle that the projectile's effective line (the red one:) cuts out?

Last edited:

1. What is a dive bomber?

A dive bomber is a type of military aircraft designed to perform steep dive attacks on ground targets. It typically has a single engine, fixed landing gear, and a bomb bay for carrying bombs or other munitions.

2. How does a dive bomber work?

A dive bomber works by climbing to a high altitude and then diving at a steep angle towards its target. During the dive, the pilot releases the bombs or other munitions and pulls out of the dive before reaching the target. This type of attack allows for more accurate targeting and increased speed and maneuverability.

3. What is the history of dive bombers?

Dive bombers were first used in World War I, but it was not until World War II that they became a prominent weapon in military strategy. The most famous dive bomber of this time was the German Stuka, which was used in devastating attacks during the early years of the war. Dive bombers continued to be used in various conflicts, but their role was eventually replaced by faster and more advanced fighter-bombers.

4. What are the advantages of using a dive bomber?

Dive bombers have a few key advantages over other types of aircraft. Their steep dive allows for more precise targeting, making them effective against ground targets such as ships, tanks, and buildings. They also have a relatively short takeoff and landing distance, making them useful for operating from smaller airfields or aircraft carriers.

5. Are dive bombers still used in modern warfare?

No, dive bombers are no longer used in modern warfare. They were gradually phased out in the mid-20th century as advancements in technology allowed for more efficient and versatile aircraft. However, some countries still use modified versions of dive bombers for training or as museum pieces to honor their history and role in past conflicts.