Surface Integral of a Vector Field on a Paraboloid Above a Square

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the divergence theorem to evaluate a surface integral. The problem involves a vector field and a surface that is part of a paraboloid. The method of finding the divergence of the vector field and using the limits for x and y is questioned, and it is clarified that the divergence theorem only applies to closed surfaces. It is suggested to solve the problem directly by integrating over the surface itself.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all. Please take a look at the following problem:

Evaluate the surface integral [tex]\int{F \cdotp d\vec{S}}[/tex] for the following vector field:

F(x;y;z) = xyi + yzj + zxk, where i, j and k are unit vectors. S is the part of the paraboloid z = 4-x^2-y^2 that lies above the square [tex]x \in [0;1][/tex] and [tex]y \in [0;1][/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I first find the divergence of F(x,y,z), which is y-x^2-y^2+4 (I have substituted z). Then I find dV, which is just dxdy and use the limits for x and y as stated above.

Is this method correct?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently you are referring to the "divergence theorem", that
[tex]\int\int_T\int (\nabla\cdot \vec{v})dV= \int_S\int \vec{v}\cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]

Are we to assume that the surface is oriented by "outward normals" which is part of the condition for the divergence theorem to hold?

You say "S is part of the paraboloid z = 4-x^2-y^2 that lies above the square [tex]x \in [0;1][/tex] and [tex]y \in [0;1][/tex]." So you are not incuding the base? If you are not integrating over a closed surface, the divergence theorem does not hold.

I think it would be simplest just to do the problem directly- integrate over the surface itself. Do you know how to do that?

Yes I do. I forgot that the divergence theorem only goes when we are talking about closed surfaces.

Thanks again, Mr.!

1. What is divergence and how does it relate to surfaces?

Divergence is a physical concept that describes the flow of a vector field through a given surface. It is a measure of the amount of flux (or flow) coming out of or going into a particular point in space. In the context of surfaces, divergence can tell us about the behavior of a vector field as it passes through or across the surface.

2. How is divergence calculated for a surface?

The mathematical formula for calculating divergence for a surface is the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface at a given point. This can also be written as the flux integral of the vector field over the surface. In simpler terms, it is a measure of the amount of the vector field passing through the surface per unit area.

3. What is the physical significance of divergence?

Divergence has important physical significance in many areas of science and engineering. It is used to describe the behavior of fluids and gases, as well as electromagnetic fields. In the context of surfaces, it can help us understand the flow of fluids or heat transfer across a boundary.

4. How does divergence affect the behavior of a vector field on a surface?

The value of divergence at a point on a surface can tell us whether the vector field is expanding or contracting around that point. A positive divergence indicates expansion, while a negative divergence indicates contraction. This information is important in understanding the behavior of the vector field and how it affects the surface.

5. Can divergence be visualized on a surface?

Yes, divergence can be visualized on a surface using vector field plots. These plots show the direction and magnitude of the vector field at different points on the surface, giving a visual representation of the divergence at each point. Additionally, the divergence can also be represented as a scalar function, with positive and negative values indicating expansion and contraction, respectively.