1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of a vector field

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

F(x,y,z) = (-x+y)i + (y+z)j + (-z+x)k

Find divergence

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The gradient is
    -i + j + -k

Dotting that with F, I get

x - y + y + z + z - x
    =
    2z

My book lists the answer as -1. What the heck are they talking about? (they did not ask me to evaluate for any point)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are misunderstanding the definition of divergence. ∇.F doesn't mean grad(F).F. Look it up.

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3
    I will, thanks!

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4
    Is it correct to say that it's like taking grad F, then adding up the resulting components for a scalar?

6. Apr 23, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if F=(Fx,Fy,Fz) then the divergence of F is dFx/dx+dFy/dy+dFz/dz. It's a scalar.

7. Apr 23, 2012 #6
    I see my misunderstanding now. The del operator is not the gradient of anything in particular. It's just (d/dx)i + (d/dy)j + (d/dz)k. Dot product that with F leads to the correct definition.

This actually clears up a lot of the past notation. Since del is not a gradient of anything in particular, when we say [itex]\nabla f[/itex], since f is a scalar being multiplied by some vector, del, the result is a vector, which is the gradient of f.

Cool. :)

8. Apr 23, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got it, I think. You just dotting the grad operator with the vector. The result is a scalar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?