2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The gradient is
    -i + j + -k

Dotting that with F, I get

x - y + y + z + z - x
    =
    2z

My book lists the answer as -1. What the heck are they talking about? (they did not ask me to evaluate for any point)

2. jcsd
  3. Dick

Dick 25,853
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are misunderstanding the definition of divergence. ∇.F doesn't mean grad(F).F. Look it up.

4. I will, thanks!

5. Is it correct to say that it's like taking grad F, then adding up the resulting components for a scalar?

6. Dick

Dick 25,853
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if F=(Fx,Fy,Fz) then the divergence of F is dFx/dx+dFy/dy+dFz/dz. It's a scalar.

7. I see my misunderstanding now. The del operator is not the gradient of anything in particular. It's just (d/dx)i + (d/dy)j + (d/dz)k. Dot product that with F leads to the correct definition.

This actually clears up a lot of the past notation. Since del is not a gradient of anything in particular, when we say [itex]\nabla f[/itex], since f is a scalar being multiplied by some vector, del, the result is a vector, which is the gradient of f.

Cool. :)

8. Dick

Dick 25,853
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got it, I think. You just dotting the grad operator with the vector. The result is a scalar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?