Divergence Theorem and Incompressible Fluids

In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof for the statement \nabla . u = 0 and the use of the divergence theorem. The conversation mentions a paper and the definition of a fluid volume and its boundary surface. The rate of change around the volume is defined and it is stated that the volume should stay constant. The divergence theorem is mentioned and it is questioned how the last jump is made. The conversation ends with a clarification on the notation used and the understanding that both integrals are equivalent.
Bucky

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to follow the proof for the statement
[tex]
\nabla . u = 0
[/tex]

I'm basing it off this paper:
http://delivery.acm.org/10.1145/119...GUIDE&dl=GUIDE&CFID=25582973&CFTOKEN=82107744

(page 7, 8)

In case that's not accessable (I'm in university just now, and I'm not sure if that's a subscriber only paper) I'll write what I've got.

so they start off with defining a fluid volume [tex]\Omega[/tex], and it's boundary surface as [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex], then defining the rate of change around this volume as

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} Volume(\Omega ) = \int \int_{\partial \Omega} u.n [/tex]

The volume should stay constant, thus

[tex] \int \int_{\partial \Omega} u.n = 0 [/tex]

from this step they mention the divergence theorem, then jump to

[tex] \int \int \int_{\Omega} \nabla .u = 0 [/tex]

It's this last jump I don't follow. From http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DivergenceTheorem.html" , I figured the divergence theorem changed to fit this problem would be..

[tex] \int_{\Omega } (\nabla .u) d\Omega = \int_{\partial \Omega} u.da [/tex]

they've dropped [tex] d\Omega [/tex] and gained two integrals, and I don't follow how they did this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll admit that their notation isn't really intuitive. Basically, they chose to omit the variables of integration since integration of the surface and volume is implied by the double and triple integrals. However, you should note that what you have,
Bucky said:
[tex] \int_{\Omega } (\nabla .u) d\Omega = \int_{\partial \Omega} u.da [/tex]
Is identical to what they have,
Bucky said:
[tex] \int \int \int_{\Omega} \nabla .u = 0 [/tex]
Since,
Bucky said:
[tex] \int \int_{\partial \Omega} u.n = 0 [/tex]
As I said previously, they have simply chosen not to write [itex]d\Omega[/itex] and [itex]dA[/itex], which is acceptable but can be confusing.

Last edited:

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical principle that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the field inside the surface.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, the Divergence Theorem is used to calculate the net flow of an incompressible fluid through a closed surface. It relates the fluid flow to the behavior of the fluid's velocity and pressure within the surface.

3. What is an incompressible fluid?

An incompressible fluid is a substance whose volume does not change when subjected to pressure. In other words, the density of an incompressible fluid remains constant, regardless of the amount of pressure applied.

4. Why is the Divergence Theorem important in studying incompressible fluids?

The Divergence Theorem is important in studying incompressible fluids because it allows us to analyze the flow of the fluid through a closed surface without having to consider the behavior of the fluid within the surface. This simplifies the calculations and makes it easier to understand the overall behavior of the fluid.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem and incompressible fluids?

The Divergence Theorem and incompressible fluids have many real-world applications, including analyzing fluid flow in pipes and channels, designing aerodynamic systems, and studying ocean currents. They are also used in the analysis and design of hydraulic systems, such as in dams and turbines.