Divergence theorem in four(or more) dimension

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Stoke's theorem for differential forms and its application to the concept of probability density in higher dimensional phase space. The meaning of the theorem was also questioned and it was mentioned that it could have interesting interpretations in terms of flows of probability density. Lastly, there was a question about how to define probability density for a vector field.
enricfemi
I don't know whether it was proved or can be prove.

I don't know whether it is useful. maybe it can be used in string theory or some other things.

any comment or address will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want is (the generalized) Stoke's theorem for differential forms.

Start with the Gauss-Green theorem. [itex]\Omega \in \Re^d[/itex], [itex]u:\Re^d \rightarrow \Re[/itex], n unit normal to [itex]\Omega[/itex] with components ni:

[tex]
\int_\Omega \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} u dx = \int_{\partial \Omega} u n_i dS
[/tex]

Now apply this theorem to each term of [itex]\nabla \cdot F = \sum_i \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}F_i[/itex] to get the result on Rd.

Thanks!
How about its meaning?

What is "meaning"?

It is a logical consequence of the axioms of maths we have chosen to use.

Isn't that "meaning" enough for you?

It might have an interesting interpretation in terms of flows of probability density through a higher dimensional phase space.

For example in 2D phase space where we can visualize it, consider simple harmonic motion of a single mass on a spring:
Simple_Harmonic_Motion_Orbit.gif

The orbit is a circle whose radius depends on how far the string stretches at the maximum. If you don't know the initial position or velocity exactly, you could consider the state of the system to be a probability distribution occupying some volume in phase space. It might be interesting to ask, how much probability is flowing into or out of a given region of phase space. Using this theorem, you could relate to the divergence of the tangent vector field inside the region of phase space to the flux through the boundary.

Now this is 2D phase space, but if you start adding in more springs and masses connected in various ways, the dimension of the phase space is going to get much bigger since you will need an axis for each position and velocity of each component.

I don't know if people who study dynamical systems actually use this, but its the first reasonable thing that I could think of.

Attachments

• Simple_Harmonic_Motion_Orbit.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 792
    38.8 KB · Views: 686
    38.8 KB · Views: 462
    38.8 KB · Views: 441
    38.8 KB · Views: 442
    38.8 KB · Views: 416
    38.8 KB · Views: 421
    38.8 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Special thanks to maze!

by the way, i still have a question:
for a vector field, how to define the "probability density"?
i don't think it is divergence,
but it's really exist and important. just like the density of electric field lines exhibit its strength.

1. What is the divergence theorem in four or more dimensions?

The divergence theorem in four or more dimensions is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of that vector field inside the enclosed volume. It is a generalization of the three-dimensional divergence theorem, which is also known as Gauss's theorem.

2. How is the divergence theorem used in higher dimensions?

In higher dimensions, the divergence theorem is used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface that encloses a solid region. It is also used in the study of mathematical concepts such as differential forms, Stokes' theorem, and the fundamental theorem of calculus in multiple dimensions.

3. What are some applications of the divergence theorem in four or more dimensions?

The divergence theorem has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer, among others. Additionally, the theorem is an essential tool in the study of higher-dimensional manifolds and their properties.

4. How is the divergence theorem derived in four or more dimensions?

The divergence theorem is usually derived using advanced mathematical concepts such as differential forms, integration over manifolds, and theorems such as the fundamental theorem of calculus and the generalized Stokes' theorem. It involves breaking down a higher-dimensional volume into smaller, simpler pieces and then using these pieces to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface.

5. Are there any limitations to the divergence theorem in four or more dimensions?

While the divergence theorem is a powerful tool in higher-dimensional mathematics, it does have some limitations. For example, it only applies to vector fields that are continuous and have continuous derivatives within the enclosed volume. Additionally, the theorem may not be valid for certain highly irregular surfaces or regions in which the vector field is undefined or discontinuous.