Divisibility Probability of Randomly Selected Natural Numbers

In summary, the question asks for the probability that a number from the set of the first 120 natural numbers, chosen at random, is not divisible by 3, 4, or 6, but is divisible by 2 or 5. This can be calculated by finding the probability of the set A^cB^cC^c(D \cup E), where A, B, C, D, and E represent the sets of numbers divisible by 3, 4, 6, 2, and 5 respectively. After some calculations, it is found that the probability is 31/60, but the correct answer is 14/60. There may be a mistake in the calculations or an error in
Alexsandro
Could Someone help with this question ?

What is the probability that a number of the set [itex]\Omega[/itex], first 120 natural numbers {1,2,3, ... , 120}, picked at random is not divisible by any of the number 3, 4, 6 but is divisible by 2 or 5 ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To make this rgorous you wuld need a uniform probability measure on the natrual numbers. none such exists.

however, the next best thing is this: suppose that you pick at random with uniform prob from the set {1,..,N} what are the chances.

Notice the redundancy of your requirements: if a number is not divisible by 3 it is certainly not divisible by 6.

roughly 1/2 are divisible by 2, 1/5 by 5 and how many by both? now think about those that are not divisible be 3 and 4.

matt grime said:
To make this rgorous you wuld need a uniform probability measure on the natrual numbers. none such exists.

however, the next best thing is this: suppose that you pick at random with uniform prob from the set {1,..,N} what are the chances.

Notice the redundancy of your requirements: if a number is not divisible by 3 it is certainly not divisible by 6.

roughly 1/2 are divisible by 2, 1/5 by 5 and how many by both? now think about those that are not divisible be 3 and 4.

Consider the events and [itex]\Omega[/itex] = {1,2,3, ..., 120}, natural numbers:
A = {integers which are divisible by 3}, with P(A) = 1/3;
B = {integers which are divisible by 4}, with P(B) = 1/4;
C = {integers which are divisible by 6}, with P(C) = 1/6;
D = {integers which are divisible by 2}, with P(D) = 1/2;
E = {integers which are divisible by 5}, with P(E) = 1/5.

I need to find the probability of the set: [itex]A^cB^cC^c(D \cup E)[/itex].
Let [itex]A^cB^cC^c(D \cup E)[/itex] = [itex](A^cB^cC^cD) \cup (A^cB^cC^cE)[/itex].

and

[itex](A^cB^cC^cD) \cap (A^cB^cC^cE) = (A^cB^cC^cDE) = DE - ABCDE.[/itex]

then

[itex]P(A^cB^cC^cDE)[/itex] = P(DE) - P(ABCDE) = 1/10 - 1/60 = 1/12.
P(DE) = 1/10;
P(ABCDE) = 1/60.

and

[itex]P(A^cB^cC^cD)[/itex] = P(D) - P(ABCD) = 1/2 - 1/12 = 5/12.
[itex]P(A^cB^cC^cE)[/itex] = P(E) - P(ABCE) = 1/5 - 1/60 = 11/60.

=>

[itex](A^cB^cC^cD) \cup (A^cB^cC^cE)[/itex] = [itex]P(A^cB^cC^cD)[/itex] + [itex]P(A^cB^cC^cE)[/itex] - [itex]P(A^cB^cC^cDE)[/itex] = 5/12 + 11/60 - 1/12 = 31/60

However, the right answer is 14/60. I committed some error? Where I can have wrong

Haven't looked through your working but shouldn't you neglect the "not divisible by 6" condition ? If a number is not divisible by 3, it won't be divisible by 6. That is redundant.

Edit : just noticed this was already pointed out by matt.

Last edited:
I didn't neglect the redundance

Gokul43201 said:
Haven't looked through your working but shouldn't you neglect the "not divisible by 6" condition ? If a number is not divisible by 3, it won't be divisible by 6. That is redundant.

Edit : just noticed this was already pointed out by matt.

1. What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are the set of positive integers that start from 1 and continue onwards. They do not include any fractions or decimals.

2. What is the concept of divisibility?

Divisibility is the property of a number being able to be divided equally by another number without leaving any remainder. For example, 10 is divisible by 2 because 10 divided by 2 is equal to 5 with no remainder.

3. What does it mean for a number to be divisible by another number?

A number is divisible by another number if it can be divided evenly without leaving any remainder. This is often denoted by the first number being a multiple of the second number.

4. How do you determine if a natural number is divisible by another number?

To determine if a natural number is divisible by another number, you can use division. If the division results in a whole number with no remainder, then the numbers are divisible. Another method is to check if the last digit of the number is divisible by the divisor.

5. What is the relationship between divisibility and factors?

Divisibility and factors are closely related. A factor is a number that divides into another number evenly with no remainder. Therefore, a number is divisible by another number if it has that number as one of its factors.