DIY paraffin wax log for fire.

In summary, paraffin is a hydrocarbon mixture that is solid and has a longer chain length than kerosene or mineral oil. It is commonly used in wax logs for starting wood stoves. Mixing dried sawdust with a small amount of mineral oil and allowing it to dry may work, but using melted paraffin wax mixed with sawdust is a better option for a more cohesive and less oily result.
dingpud
OK, so paraffin is a hydrocarbon, and is a solid form of kerosene or mineral oil... I wanted to try making my own wax logs for starting our wood stove.

Could I take dried out sawdust, mix it with a small amount of mineral oil, suck the moisture out of the "shape", allow for it to dry, then light it? Would that work?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I think it is a right way to make out paraffin wax logs and this will possibly a best way to do, as if in future I have to make this then I will do accordingly.

Thanks!

dingpud said:
OK, so paraffin is a hydrocarbon, and is a solid form of kerosene or mineral oil.

Well, no, paraffin wax is a hydrocarbon mixture where the chain length is 20-40 carbon atoms. Kerosene and mineral oil have a shorter chain lengths, 5-20 or so. So they're similar but not identical substances. The latter being more volatile and of course, being liquids. Same difference as oil and tar, basically.

Could I take dried out sawdust, mix it with a small amount of mineral oil, suck the moisture out of the "shape", allow for it to dry, then light it? Would that work?

I'm not sure how well it would all stick together, but it'd certainly burn. Although faster and with a somewhat lower ignition temperature.

But if you want to make something that's identical to those paraffin (wax) logs, you should get paraffin wax (candle wax), melt it, and mix in your sawdust. (I'm guessing you can probably have a pretty high amount of sawdust to wax, maybe even 10:1, and still have it hold together)

That'd hold together better and have the benefit of not being oily and smelly.

1. What is a DIY paraffin wax log for fire?

A DIY paraffin wax log for fire is a homemade fire starter made from paraffin wax and sawdust. It is used to easily and quickly start a fire in a fireplace, wood stove, or campfire.

2. How do you make a DIY paraffin wax log for fire?

To make a DIY paraffin wax log for fire, you will need paraffin wax, sawdust, and a large pot or double boiler. Melt the paraffin wax in the pot or double boiler, then stir in the sawdust until it is well coated. Pour the mixture into a log-shaped mold or roll it into a log shape by hand. Let it cool and harden before using.

3. What are the benefits of using a DIY paraffin wax log for fire?

There are several benefits to using a DIY paraffin wax log for fire. It is an affordable and efficient way to start a fire, as paraffin wax is relatively inexpensive and burns for a long time. It also produces less smoke and ash compared to other fire starters, making it a cleaner option.

4. Can I use any type of sawdust for a DIY paraffin wax log for fire?

It is recommended to use sawdust from untreated wood for a DIY paraffin wax log for fire. Sawdust from chemically treated or pressure-treated wood can release harmful chemicals when burned. It is also important to ensure the sawdust is completely dry before mixing it with the wax.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making or using a DIY paraffin wax log for fire?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when making or using a DIY paraffin wax log for fire. It is important to melt the wax in a well-ventilated area, as the fumes can be flammable. When using the log, make sure to have proper ventilation and keep it away from any flammable objects. Always follow the safety instructions on the wax packaging and use caution when handling hot wax.