Do Forum Bans Effectively Control User Behavior?

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
In summary, Jomo Kenyatta believes that it is useless to try and befriend people who do not want to be friends with him. He also believes that it is better to treat people fairly, but will not waste his time trying to do so with individuals who do not know how to return the favor.
klusener
it is no use, i mean they can keep coming back right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
my unofficial sig:
When the Europeans came, they had the Bible and we had the land. They said that this is the book of God and asked us to meditate. When we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the Bible.

- Jomo Kenyatta

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forums ban people because they usually don't keep coming back. Some individuals get offended when they are banned and never return, while others don't know how to hack in order to return. Furthermore, other reasons exist such as the person wanting to maintain their dignity by refusing to return.

Banning people often works because you can easily use intellect to discover who the individual banned was and if they have returned, or if your good with computers you can come up with a better banning system.

k, thanks for your reply...

When the Europeans came, they had the Bible and we had the land. They said that this is the book of God and asked us to meditate. When we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the Bible.

- Jomo Kenyatta

"I believe in the brotherhood of man, all men, but I don't believe in brotherhood with anybody who doesn't want brotherhood with me. I believe in treating people right, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to treat somebody right who doesn't know how to return the treatment."
-El Hajj Malik El Shabazz (Malcolm X)

Last edited:
It is my experience that people are banned only when they do not adhere to the policies with which they supposedly agreed when registering with the forum.

As far as I can tell, it is not the policy of this forum to ban people in order to prevent anyone's opinion from being expressed. Those who were banned were usually disruptive and refused to change their behavior despite sufficient warning. In this sense, it is like a situation in a classroom where a teacher would remove a student who is preventing the lesson or assaulting fellow students, or in a church or social gathering where the ushers would remove a person for conduct that is incompatible with the function.

If there is any question about policy, please refer to the terms and conditions for participating in the forum in question.

not sure if this belongs in GD...from what i understand, we are able to ban on more then just the name being registered...

We have several different ways of banning people depending on what is needed. The automated system ban based on warning points is temporary, a person is allowed to return after 21 days, it's more like "detention" than a ban.

If a person comes back during a ban, then additional steps can be taken.

Don't worry, I won't come back.

Awww, no one is going to ban you Boulderhead.

klusener said:

With a little technical know-how a troublemaker can go back over and over again. I've seen this on another forum. But most troublemakers aren't that knowledgeable :-p

I've never been banned from any forums but I could probably get around it if I wanted, quick ban me! We'll see if I can.

They ban your IP most of the time. I should know I have been banned from my hockey forums many times, once for over six months. :bugeye:

If you try and visit the site while logged in the site goes blank. If you clear cookies then you can see the site but if you try to log in again the screen goes blank again.

Sucks to be banned, trust me.

You have proxie sites so that your IP looks different,But anyone who deserved to get banned from PF won't know that or to how to use it.

poolwin2001 said:
You have proxie sites so that your IP looks different,But anyone who deserved to get banned from PF won't know that or to how to use it.

Come on, people can't be that uninformed. :eek:

graphic7 said:
Come on, people can't be that uninformed. :eek:

Don't encourage them. :-p

poolwin2001 said:

But it's not worth it. If you can't come back as yourself what's the point? I don't go to message boards to troll around for fun.

ek said:
But it's not worth it. If you can't come back as yourself what's the point? I don't go to message boards to troll around for fun.
if you are banned as ek you can come back as ekisback or ek1.

but then its obvious and you get banned again.

Smurf said:
but then its obvious and you get banned again.

Usually those who can't control themselves enough to avoid getting banned in the first place also can't control themselves enough upon returning to hide that they are the same person, so they do wind up quickly banned upon re-entry. If they completely changed their attitude and became a good citizen under a new nickname (maybe learned their lesson), then folks are less likely to notice their return, but blending in isn't usually their modus operandi.

ek said:
Some people have a lot of time on their hands. They'll create mults to get their kicks out of the responses they get from other people. :-p

Actually there is only one method to get rid of people like them .Ignore them.

poolwin2001 said:
Actually there is only one method to get rid of people like them .Ignore them.

But the funny thing is, no matter how many times you remind people of this, someone always has to reply to them.

Moonbear said:
But the funny thing is, no matter how many times you remind people of this, someone always has to reply to them.

Yes, ignoring requires a collective effort, and it takes just one reply to get the ball rolling, so that really never works.

There have been times when I've wanted to actually say just this, when someone (won't say who) produces yet another nutty thread.

If you want a thread with a lot of replies, make an inflammatory/stupid/overgeneralized/hateful remark, and sit back.

Moonbear said:

While dignified silence is undoubtedly the proper reaction of the noble mind when exposed to smut, should we not also say that smut ought to be removed?
(In a smooth, efficient butler-like manner, if you prefer that)

Gokul43201 said:
There have been times when I've wanted to actually say just this, when someone (won't say who,TRIBDOG) produces yet another nutty thread.
I haven't been starting nearly as many nutty threads as I used to.

Hey, he might have meant ME! :smile:

And, ok, let me say just one thing here..
Forums don't ban people. People ban people. :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
Hey, he might have meant ME! :smile:

And, ok, let me say just one thing here..
Forums don't ban people. People ban people. :approve:

LOL! It made me think of "He Who Should Not be Named" from the Harry Potter books (since I just read the first two last week). Actually, we all know who he's talking about, but since he's completely disappeared, He Who Should Not be Named seems a good term. :biggrin:

What did you think of the books?

tribdog said:
What did you think of the books?

They were just like the movies. I enjoyed them, but other than the first chapter of the first book, I haven't seen any major departure from what was in the movies. I keep getting told the books are much better and have more detail than the movies, but I'm wondering if the people telling me that actually paid attention to the movies now. But, since I've only seen the first two movies, the rest of the books are bound to contain some surprises. :wink:

When I saw the movies I had already read the books and I remember thinking that I'd never seen a movie so faithful to the book.

Has "you know who" been banned ??!

Last edited:
:confused: Who? :confused:

klusener said:

my unofficial sig:

- Jomo Kenyatta

History is littered with Exile's.

Freedom and free thinking used to be valued highly when the internet first appeared, like a new born nation, the web has now a vast number of free-thinkers, they are called Mentors or Minus-ors.

These will allow only a 'toe-the-line' or else 'B****D'!

They dictate, they think and they respond accordingly, until you bow and heel to their every whim, evident by the amount of awards and 'back-me-up' literation that goes on in most forums. This forum is no exeption, with maybe less than norm freedom available, unless you actually pay?..then dividends are returned, favour for favour?

Have you set up a website for free thinkers Wave's_Hand_Particle?

I'm sure you realize that it's very easy to do, and also costs very little (unless you wish to offer something with a professional look and feel ... but free thinkers are not concerned with such distractions, are they?).

Nereid said:
Have you set up a website for free thinkers Wave's_Hand_Particle?

I'm sure you realize that it's very easy to do, and also costs very little (unless you wish to offer something with a professional look and feel ... but free thinkers are not concerned with such distractions, are they?).

I detect a free thinking reply!..tinged with an air of bitterness?..surely you have not taken offence to my 'honest' post?

Shame on you if this is so :confused: the original poster asks why people get banned, I assume he/she was a newbie..and thus the reply I gave was near to actual PF and Web events, if you think this is not so, then we are on different wavelengths!

Wave's_Hand_Particle said:
I detect a free thinking reply!..tinged with an air of bitterness?..surely you have not taken offence to my 'honest' post?
Not at all! I'm merely interested in seeing the extent to which 'your money is where your mouth is'!
Shame on you if this is so :confused: the original poster asks why people get banned, I assume he/she was a newbie..and thus the reply I gave was near to actual PF and Web events, if you think this is not so, then we are on different wavelengths!
Probably not (much). People get banned from PF because they persistently break the rules that they signed up for when they agreed to join.

It doesn't get much simpler than that; references to 'free thinking' etc are irrelevant ... since PF doesn't claim to be a 'free thinking' (your terms) site, it's at least disingenuous to claim this site is not 'free thinking' (or doesn't support 'free thinking').

Dear reader, if you haven't had a chance yet, I recommend a read of the thread in feedback, on the new 'ban Theory Development' discussion. :smile: