Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I have to re-define electric field strength in Centre of Mass frame

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    So lets say I'm computing the torque as a result of the interaction between two electric dipoles in the lab frame. Lets imagine they are in some electric field.

I then do : τ = r×F

If I now switch to the centre of mass frame I have to find their position vectors from the COM.

Why do I not have to re-define the electric field strength vector and ultimately the force vector on each dipole with respect to the centre of mass frame ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Non-relativistic? Fields and forces (at specific points) are the same in all inertial frames.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    I'll be honest, I dont completely follow what you mean by non-relativistic.

I'm a first year Chemistry student so the idea of inertial frames is a very new concept.

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Non-relativistic = you don't care about special relativity. Okay, it's fine.

It is just a more general way to say "fields and forces are the same for the lab and the center of mass frame".

6. Apr 3, 2013 #5
    Oh, okay, I see what you mean now. Thanks !

Beside fields and forces what else does not change between the lab and COM frame ?

7. Apr 3, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Masses, relative velocities, distances, all internal paramters of objects, ...
    Position, velocity, kinetic energy and momentum (and maybe angular momentum, depending on its definition) are the only changing things, unless I forgot something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook