Do I Need to Include Minus Signs in Energy Conservation Equations?

In summary: So for conservation of energy to work, ΔUg must be negative. This is why I define Ug = 0 at the uncompressed point, so that it becomes negative when the block is released and falls to a lower height.
tmobilerocks
Hi All,

I just have a question regarding potential energies. Say I have a block above a spring, and I define the potential energy of gravity and the spring to be zero at the uncompressed point. I then drop the block, trying to find the maximum compression of the spring using conservation of energy. I also define my coordinate system as the down direction as being positive. If I use conservation of energy equations, do I need to manually put in minus signs? For example in this problem:

ΔK + ΔUs + ΔUg = 0
mgh - mgho + .5ky2 = 0 (General equation)

Coordinate system down as positive
mgh + mgho - .5ky2 = 0

Coordinate system up as positive
-mgh - mgho + 5ky2 = 0

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Put them in manually as opposed to what? I'm not quite sure I understand the question but whether you reverse a coordinate system or not you need to stay consistent. If you're saying up is negative then any movement in that direction needs a negative sign.

The sign conventions in the energy equations come from the derivation - the integration - so you can't just swap signs. Unless you're going to re-derive your equations you need to stick with the convention that was used when the equation was derived.
For the spring this is important because a spring's Force is defined as F= -kx and this is used to derive the equation. You're not free to chose a sign convention of your liking when you're dealing with this equation unless you're willing to do the integration by yourself. The negative sign signifies that the force exerted by
the spring is always directed opposite the displacement from equilibrium.

I drop a block on a spring compressing it. Let's say 0 potential energy is defined at spring equilibrium and down is positive direction. The spring is now compressed. The change in potential energy would be mgh + mgh0 right? (Needed to manually add positive sign to initial potential energy, up direction is now negative)

tmobilerocks said:
I drop a block on a spring compressing it. Let's say 0 potential energy is defined at spring equilibrium and down is positive direction. The spring is now compressed. The change in potential energy would be mgh + mgh0 right? (Needed to manually add positive sign to initial potential energy, up direction is now negative)

If mgh0 is the initial potential energy then the change in potential energy would be mgh0 - mgh regardless of whether up or down is defined as positive.

The definition of up or down being positive is irrelevant to the potential energy, potential energy is a scalar.

The block is below the reference point; h is negative. If you do mgh - mgh0 it becomes positive or mgh + mgh0

Hello T,
Can I contribute an elementary question about post 1, or rather: two questions:
1. About Ug: I get the impression that you think g = 9.8 m/s2, no matter which way the positive direction is defined. g is pointing to the center of gravity of the earth, so if you choose "up is positive", you will have to fill in (manually) g = -9.8 m/s2. Am I right ?

2. About Us: the y you introduce is equal to h - h0, I suppose ? The energy is 0.5 k y2, In either direction, and for either definition of positive, y2 is the same as (-y)2. Your change in sign for that term is in error. Do you agree ?

There is enough challenging thought left over: is pulling up over 1 cm the same as pushing down 1 cm ?

In a way. The specific problem deals with a block released above a spring and compressing on it. I define Ug = Us= 0 as the uncompressed point and down as the positive direction. Up is therefore negative, so the block starts out with negative potential energy U = mgh (h is negative). Drawing a energy diagram, the spring potential energy must be negative for conservation of energy to work.

tmobilerocks said:
Drawing a energy diagram, the spring potential energy must be negative for conservation of energy to work.
Spring potential energy is always positive (or zero). Regardless of your choice of sign convention, the general equation for energy conservation will be: ΔUg + ΔUs = 0. Since the spring starts out uncompressed, ΔUs will be positive.

Related to Do I Need to Include Minus Signs in Energy Conservation Equations?

1. What is negative potential energy?

Negative potential energy is a form of energy that is associated with the position or arrangement of objects in a system. It represents the potential for work to be done when the objects move or interact with each other.

2. How is negative potential energy different from positive potential energy?

Negative potential energy refers to a system where the objects are in a stable or lower energy state, whereas positive potential energy refers to a system where the objects are in an unstable or higher energy state.

3. What are some examples of negative potential energy?

Some examples of negative potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and an object held at a height above the ground.

4. How is negative potential energy calculated?

Negative potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground.

5. Can negative potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, negative potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the objects in the system move or interact with each other. This conversion is known as the law of conservation of energy.