Do I really need Engineering degree to get job in renewable-energy industry ?

In summary: It is possible to get a job in the energy field without a degree in engineering, but it will be harder. You would need to have some experience in the field and be well-versed in the numerical analysis and computational physics techniques involved.
sesinka
Hi, in 1.5 year I'll finish my M.S. (more precisely - it's equvalent) in Mathematical modelling. These studies connect math and physics and numerics - this is what propagation papers are trying to fool you. In reality there is lot of Functional analysis and pure math and you have lectures concerning almost only existence of solutions. (Solutions of Navier-Stokes system eqs.)
I'm enthusiastic about enviromental stuff like clean energy sources - I'd like to work for some company which builds renewable energy power plants or construct components for them.
On every website I've checked there was requirement to have engineering degree.

Do you think it would be possible to get desired job only with my "pure" M.S. ?
I have B.S. in General Physics so it's not enough applied either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think about PhD. However now my studies tend to PDEs theory rather than applied physics or engineering. My supervisor is well known in his field and expect from me to continue in this direction. About severeral next PhD... You know - I have lack of funds so I hope I can handle one PhD.

It's certainly not impossible but a degree in engineering will be a big help. Usually the pure theoretical stuff doesn't apply much to most alternative energy development technologies. Your best bet I would imagine would be in the area of photovoltaics.

sesinka said:
Yes, I think about PhD. However now my studies tend to PDEs theory rather than applied physics or engineering. My supervisor is well known in his field and expect from me to continue in this direction. About severeral next PhD... You know - I have lack of funds so I hope I can handle one PhD.
From your posts, it appears you do applied mathematics and numerical analysis, which now includes computational physics.

There are many applications of numerical analysis/computational physics. A lot of analysis/simulation is done in conjunction with design.

Wind turbines, thermodynamic systems (concentrated solar power (CSP)) and hydrodynamic systems use computational fluid dynamics with applications like CFX, Star-CD, Comsol, etc.

Having an engineering degree, or at least some classes (e.g. fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, mechanics of structures / materials) would be beneficial.

I had several classes of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics and we also have class where we are working with Comsol. We just have much more subjects about PDE theory then classes that can be considered as useful in practice. The most advanced numerics class was FEM for eliptic problems and yes this surely will be useful.
I'm thinking about job concerning energy of ocean waves or tidal energy but there they usually want previous experience in that field which I cannot offer now.

1. Do I need an engineering degree to work in the renewable energy industry?

While having an engineering degree can certainly be beneficial in the renewable energy industry, it is not always necessary. Many positions in this field also require expertise in other areas such as project management, finance, and policy. It is important to research the specific role you are interested in to determine if an engineering degree is necessary.

2. Can I work in the renewable energy industry with a degree in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to work in the renewable energy industry with a degree in a different field. Many companies in this industry value diversity and may look for candidates with backgrounds in areas such as environmental science, business, or economics. It is important to highlight relevant skills and experiences in your resume and cover letter to showcase your qualifications for the role.

3. Will an engineering degree help me advance in the renewable energy industry?

Having an engineering degree can certainly open up opportunities for advancement in the renewable energy industry. However, it is not the only factor that determines career growth. Other factors such as relevant experience, networking, and continuous learning also play a significant role in advancing in this field.

4. Can I switch to a career in renewable energy without an engineering background?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a career in renewable energy without an engineering background. Many companies in this industry value transferable skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management. It may require some additional education or training, but it is not impossible to transition into this field without an engineering degree.

5. Are there alternative ways to gain knowledge and skills in renewable energy without an engineering degree?

Yes, there are alternative ways to gain knowledge and skills in renewable energy without an engineering degree. There are many online courses, workshops, and certifications available that can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to work in this industry. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or volunteer opportunities can also be valuable in building your expertise in this field.