Do Lagrangian and hidden symm broken Lagr describe the same physics?

In summary, the two Lagrangians before and after symmetry breaking are equivalent in terms of describing the same physics. However, there may be difficulties in defining a unique vacuum state for both Lagrangians, as this requires a physical intuition not derivable from first principles. While the theory is self-consistent for one-point correlation functions, defining other states may not be as straightforward.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
Do the Lagrangian(before broken in symmetry) and corresponding hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian describe the same physics or not?Because the field in the Lagrangian before broken is shifted by a constant in comparision with the field in the broken Lagrangian,but at quantum level we must consider the field operators.Then I do not understand whether the two Lagrangian are equivalent or not.
Thank you very much in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two Lagrangians are equivalent.

What is different, is a "natural" definition of the vacuum state for two field operators. The "vacuum" is something that, in general, is not well defined in quantum field theory. A physical intuition is needed in order to find an appropriate definition of the vacuum.

Last edited:
Please pleasure elaborate more detail for me.I do know that the constant is the vacuum expectation value of field,then the theory is self-consistent for the one-point correlation function(the tadpole diagrams).But how about the other diagrams?

ndung200790 said:
Please pleasure elaborate more detail for me.I do know that the constant is the vacuum expectation value of field,then the theory is self-consistent for the one-point correlation function(the tadpole diagrams).But how about the other diagrams?
I am not saying that the theory is not self-consistent, I am saying that it is not unique.

More precisely, as long as you calculate only the expectation values of products of fields in a given state, the theory is unique. But the problem appears when you try to say that some particular state is the "vacuum", that another particular state is a "1-particle state", etc. It cannot be done in a unique straightforward way, without using some intuition not derivable from first principles.

Related to Do Lagrangian and hidden symm broken Lagr describe the same physics?

1. What is the difference between Lagrangian and hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It is used in the field of classical mechanics to calculate the motion of a system. Hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian is a more complex version of the Lagrangian that takes into account the breaking of symmetries in a system, which can occur at the quantum level.

2. Do Lagrangian and hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian describe the same physics?

Yes, in most cases, Lagrangian and hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian describe the same physics. However, the hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian takes into account additional factors, such as symmetry breaking, which can affect the behavior of a system at the quantum level.

3. What is the significance of hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian in physics?

The hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian is significant in physics because it allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of systems at the quantum level. It takes into account factors that the traditional Lagrangian does not, providing a more accurate representation of the dynamics of a system.

4. Can Lagrangian and hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian be used interchangeably?

No, Lagrangian and hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian cannot be used interchangeably. While they both describe the dynamics of a system, the hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian takes into account additional factors and provides a more accurate representation at the quantum level.

5. How are Lagrangian and hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian used in practical applications?

Lagrangian and hidden symmetry broken Lagrangian are used in practical applications in various fields, such as particle physics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. They are used to calculate the behavior of complex systems and to make predictions about their dynamics at the quantum level.