Do the electrons have inertial mass?

In summary, the electron has inertial mass, which is different than mass in the modern sense. Mass in the modern sense is energy divided by c^2.
FranciscoAlm
Hello there!
According to quantum physics, do the electrons have inertial mass? I read somewhere electrons were an amount of energy, with no mass at all. I think I'm confused about the concept of "mass" since I know two, the one they taught me at school, which I'm considering as inertial mass and the one on relativity that is related to energy, right?
(Sorry if I'm saying something stupid, I'm sixteen and I actually am new here and the knowledge I have about quantum physics and so on is due to my own research.)
Anyway, thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, welcome to PF!

I read somewhere electrons were an amount of energy, with no mass at all

Isn't quite true, perhaps you're thinking of a photon? Electrons are a massive particle, with a rest mass of about 9.10938×10^-31 kg

Yes, they have inertial mass :)

Often is said they have no mass cause it's so small compared with neutrons and protons.

Relative mass is

mr = mi / [itex]\sqrt{1 - v²/c²}[/itex]

with v = velocity, c = light of speed
As you see for low speed this is the kinda the same as inertial mass :)

It cannot be stressed enough that the quantity you give as "mass" is not mass in the modern sense (if you assume a scientific achievement as "modern" although it has been obtained over 100 years ago) but Energy (divided by [itex]c^2[/itex]).

In relativistic physics mass means the invariant mass of an object, i.e., a scalar quantity while energy is the time component of the energy-momentum four-vector.

Got it! Thank you all :)
I spent some time researching the difference between the two masses and with what you said here and with what I've read, I think I understood it.
I really meant electron e.bar.goum , but since you spoke of photons, I'll do some more research about them just for the fun of learning :)

1. What is inertial mass?

Inertial mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion. It is a property of matter that determines how much force is needed to accelerate an object.

2. How does the mass of an electron affect its motion?

The mass of an electron does not directly affect its motion, as it is a fundamental property of the electron. However, the mass of an electron can affect the motion of other objects, as it plays a role in the electromagnetic force.

3. Do all electrons have the same inertial mass?

Yes, all electrons have the same inertial mass, which is approximately 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms.

4. Can an electron's inertial mass change?

No, an electron's inertial mass cannot change, as it is a fundamental property of the electron. However, its relativistic mass can change at high speeds due to the effects of special relativity.

5. How is the inertial mass of an electron measured?

The inertial mass of an electron is typically measured using the mass-to-charge ratio in a mass spectrometer. It can also be calculated using the charge and acceleration of an electron in an electric field.