Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do we get 2x the frequency when doing P=VI for AC Circuits?

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    I know that when you get a current from a voltage (like calculating current through resistor), the current and voltage equations have the same frequency. Does this still hold for power P = VI ?

So assume V in Euler form, V(t) = Vcos(wt+theta) + jVsin(wt+theta) = V*ej(wt+theta) and in Phasor, V<theta = Vcos(wt+theta)

And assume I in Euler form, I(t) = Icos(wt+phi) + jIsin(wt+phi) = I*ej(wt+phi) and in Phasor, I<phi = Icos(wt+phi)

Then P = V(t)*I(t) = V*ej(wt+theta) * I*ej(wt+phi)

To get P = VI*ejwt+jwt+jphi+jtheta, call jphi + jtheta = jpsi
    Then P = VI *e2jwt+jpsi
    Then P = VI *ej(2wt+psi)
    Then P = VIcos(2wt+psi)+jVIsin(wt+psi)

Real component is what we want, so P = VIcos(2wt+psi)

2wt (power frequency) isn't the same as wt (the frequency of current and voltage). Did I get the right result?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Think of the power as peaking on the positive voltage peak and the negative voltage peak, which is twice the frequency.

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

meBigGuy answered it

here's a picture to help

age=http%3A%2F%2Felectrical4u.com%2Felectrical%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F03%2Factive-power.png

any time volts and amps have same sign their product is positive
    and that happens twice per line cycle

see - you learned that in first year algebra. Much of learning is really just discovering what we already know.

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

That's the picture I was looking for!

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Not to hijack the thread but notice that there is now also a DC component. This is like AM modulation in that 2 signals are multiplied together to get sum and difference frequencies. In this case it so happens that the two input signals are the SAME frequencies.

7. Jan 25, 2016 #6

meBigGuy

Gold Member

The trig identity for squaring a sinewave (since power is E^2/R) shows the DC and the 2x frequency
    sin2(x) = ½[1 – cos(2x)]

8. Jan 28, 2016 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

sin^2x.jpg

I envy you who are fluent in math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook