Do we get 2x the frequency when doing P=VI for AC Circuits?

In summary, the current and voltage equations have the same frequency when the power is peaking on the positive and negative voltage peaks.
yosimba2000
I know that when you get a current from a voltage (like calculating current through resistor), the current and voltage equations have the same frequency. Does this still hold for power P = VI ?

So assume V in Euler form, V(t) = Vcos(wt+theta) + jVsin(wt+theta) = V*ej(wt+theta) and in Phasor, V<theta = Vcos(wt+theta)

And assume I in Euler form, I(t) = Icos(wt+phi) + jIsin(wt+phi) = I*ej(wt+phi) and in Phasor, I<phi = Icos(wt+phi)

Then P = V(t)*I(t) = V*ej(wt+theta) * I*ej(wt+phi)

To get P = VI*ejwt+jwt+jphi+jtheta, call jphi + jtheta = jpsi
Then P = VI *e2jwt+jpsi
Then P = VI *ej(2wt+psi)
Then P = VIcos(2wt+psi)+jVIsin(wt+psi)

Real component is what we want, so P = VIcos(2wt+psi)

2wt (power frequency) isn't the same as wt (the frequency of current and voltage). Did I get the right result?

Likes donpacino
Engineering news on Phys.org
Think of the power as peaking on the positive voltage peak and the negative voltage peak, which is twice the frequency.

meBigGuy answered it

here's a picture to help

age=http%3A%2F%2Felectrical4u.com%2Felectrical%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F03%2Factive-power.png

any time volts and amps have same sign their product is positive
and that happens twice per line cycle

see - you learned that in first year algebra. Much of learning is really just discovering what we already know.

Likes Averagesupernova and meBigGuy
That's the picture I was looking for!

Likes jim hardy
Not to hijack the thread but notice that there is now also a DC component. This is like AM modulation in that 2 signals are multiplied together to get sum and difference frequencies. In this case it so happens that the two input signals are the SAME frequencies.

The trig identity for squaring a sinewave (since power is E^2/R) shows the DC and the 2x frequency
sin2(x) = ½[1 – cos(2x)]

Likes sophiecentaur and jim hardy
meBigGuy said:
½[1 – cos(2x)]
sin^2x.jpg

I envy you who are fluent in math.

1. What is the formula for calculating the frequency in an AC circuit using P=VI?

The formula for calculating the frequency in an AC circuit using P=VI is f=V/2πIR, where f is the frequency, V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

2. How does P=VI relate to the frequency in an AC circuit?

P=VI is a power equation, which means it calculates the amount of power in an electrical circuit. The frequency of an AC circuit is directly proportional to the power, meaning that if the power is doubled, the frequency will also double.

3. Can we use P=VI to calculate the frequency in all AC circuits?

P=VI can be used to calculate the frequency in most AC circuits, but it is not applicable to all circuits. In some cases, other factors such as reactance and impedance must also be taken into account.

4. Why do we need to calculate the frequency in an AC circuit?

The frequency in an AC circuit is an important parameter as it determines the rate at which the current and voltage change direction. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits.

5. How accurate is P=VI in calculating the frequency in an AC circuit?

P=VI is a reliable formula for calculating the frequency in an AC circuit, but it may not be entirely accurate in all cases. Factors such as circuit complexity, harmonics, and non-linear loads can affect the accuracy of the calculation.