Believing in God: Sagan, Hawking & Beyond

• Thread starter physicsx0rz
  • Start date
In summary, most people believe in some sort of higher power. Some people, like Hawking, do not believe in a personal God but rather the laws of physics. I am an atheist, which means I do not believe in a God that exists outside of the laws of physics.
physicsx0rz
Most people ask me to define God when I ask if they believe in God, so I'll define what I mean by God.

Carl Sagan said he believed in God as in a higher power, meaning the laws of physics controlled him but he had no control over them. Hawking said he does not believe in a personal God but "the embodiment of the laws of physics", which sounds exactly like what Sagan meant. I do not mean this type of God.

Creator: Do you believe a conscious being created the cosmos? If so, do you believe that same conscious is still conscious?

Thanks for any insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm Agnostic.

Where is your definition of "God?"

Last edited:
Just a reminder
From the PF Guidlines
Religious Discussion Guidelines:
Discussions that assert the a priori truth or falsity of religious dogmas and belief systems, or value judgments stemming from such religious belief systems, will not be tolerated. As a rule of thumb, some topics pertaining to religion might be permissible if they are discussed in such a way so as to remain neutral on the truth of, or value judgments stemming from, religious belief systems. However, it is essential to use good judgment whenever discussing religious matters to ensure that the discussion does not degenerate into a messy dispute. If in doubt, err on the side of caution.

Because of the complexity and ambiguity of this subject matter, there are no hard and fast moderation rules that apply over all possible cases. Ultimately, it is up to the administrators and mentors to decide what is appropriate and what it not on a case-by-case basis. Discuss religious matters at your own risk: Administrators and mentors retain the right to lock or delete any religious thread or post at any time without warning or explanation. All administrator and mentor action taken with regard to religious discussions will be final and will not be up for dispute.

Religious proselytizing is strictly prohibited! PF is not the place to promote or discuss particular religious dogma.

Me: brain says no, but the body doesn't believe the brain. I think its just muscle memory from my upbringing.

There have been tons of threads asking this in philosophy.

1. What is the scientific evidence for the existence of God?

The scientific method is not capable of proving or disproving the existence of a higher power. Science deals with observable and measurable phenomena, while the concept of God is often considered to be beyond the physical realm. Therefore, there is no scientific evidence for or against the existence of God.

2. How do scientists like Sagan and Hawking view the concept of God?

Both Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking were known for their contributions to science and their exploration of the universe. While they both respected the idea of religion, they did not believe in a personal God or any specific religious doctrine. They saw the wonders of the universe as the result of natural processes and did not see a need for a higher power to explain it.

3. Can science and religion coexist in the belief in God?

Many people believe that science and religion are incompatible, but others argue that they can coexist. Some scientists, like Sagan and Hawking, see science and religion as separate but complementary ways of understanding the world. They can both be sources of knowledge and truth, and many people incorporate both into their belief in God.

4. How do scientific advancements affect the belief in God?

Scientific advancements have often challenged traditional religious beliefs and doctrines. However, many people see these advancements as a way to better understand the complexity and beauty of the universe, which can strengthen their belief in a higher power. Others may question their beliefs in the face of new scientific discoveries. Ultimately, the impact of scientific advancements on the belief in God varies from person to person.

5. Can we ever truly know if God exists?

This is a philosophical question that cannot be definitively answered. Some people believe that faith and personal experiences are enough to know that God exists, while others argue that empirical evidence is necessary. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to determine their own beliefs about the existence of God.