Do You Understand Buoyant Forces in Water?

• Thread starter dtcool2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: That's the pressure. So as you go deeper the external pressure pushes in more. The balloon volume decreases until the internal pressure of the balloon balances the external pressure. In summary, as the rock and balloon sink toward the bottom, the magnitude of the buoyant force acting on the balloon will decrease, the magnitude of the buoyant force acting on the rock will remain constant, and the speed of the rock will decrease. As the balloon and bowling ball sink toward the bottom of the lake, the buoyant force acting on the balloon will decrease, the buoyant force acting on the bowling ball will remain constant, and the average force tending to crush the bowling ball will increase. As the treasure hunter salvages gold bullion from a sunken ship
dtcool2003
Physics Questions... Can you answer them?

Need Help Please! Can you answer them?

(1,2,3) A balloon is partially inflated with air, tied to a rock and thrown over the side of a boat into a deep fresh water lake. The rock and balloon sink toward the bottom.

1. As the rock and balloon sink toward the bottom, the magnitude of the buoyant force acting on the balloon __________.
(a) decreases (b) increases (c) remains constant (d) is impossible to predict

2. As the rock and balloon sink toard the bottom, the magnitude of the buoyant force acting on the rock ___________.
(a) remains constant (b) decreases (c) increases (d) is impossible to predict

3. As the rock and balloon sink toward the bottom, the speed of the rock _________.
(a) increases (b) remains constant (c) decreases (d) is impossible to predict

(10,11,12) A partially filled balloon is tied to a bowling ball and dropped into a deep lake. After the balloon is completely submerged and as the ball and balloon sink toward the bottom of the lake,...

10. ... the buoyant force acting on the balloon ________.

11. ... the buoyant force acting on the bowling ball _________.

12. ... the average force tending to crush the bowling ball ________.

Q(13,14,15,16) A treasure hunter salvaging gold bullion from a sunken ship, puts several gold bricks into a basket and ties a large balloon onto the basket. He then inflates the balloon with air from a compressed air cylinder until it and the basket start to rise taking the precious load toward the support ship on the surface. As the stuff rises toward the surface,...

13. ... the buoyant force exerted on one of the gold bricks ________.

14. ... the wieght of one of the gold bricks _________.

15. ... the buoyant force acting on the balloon _________.

16. ... the speed of the basket _________.
(a) remains constant (b) increases (c) decreases (d) is impossible to predict

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I can answer them. But that's not important. Whether you can answer them is. What do you know about bouyant force? Write that down and then think about how moving up and down in water might affect it.

buoyant force

wouldnt buoyant force increase the farther u take the balloon deeper into the water because the balloon wants to go up not down?

The balloon doesn't 'want' anything, it's pushed by forces. You should find in your book that the bouyant force on the balloon is equal to the weight of water it displaces. The amount of water the balloon displaces depends on it's volume. How might going shallower or deeper affect the volume of the balloon and why?

yeah i got 1 and 2

i am stuck on 3 i think its C, bc as you go deeper the pressure affects the speed by slowing it down... is that right?

Try 1) first. That 'pressure affects speed by slowing it down' is really fuzzy thinking. The speed of the balloon is affected by the unbalanced forces acting on it. And pressure is one of them, but the pressure differences are contained in the concept of 'bouyant force'. Concentrate on that. Tell me more about the balloon volume.

i really have no idea on that

i have no idea at all on any of that... i think i got number one wrong too... isn't it remains constant bc the density, gravity and volume doesn't change right..

You did get it wrong. The pressure inside the balloon equals the external pressure. As you go deeper, the external pressure grows. The only way the gas in the balloon can match this external pressure is to contract. The volume of the balloon shrinks. How does that affect the bouyant force?

Last edited:
it increases the buoyant force bc the external pressure is higher then the internal pressure so it acts upon the balloon with more force

No, no. You are using fuzzy logic again. The internal pressure is always equal to the external pressure for a balloon. The bouyant force equals the weight of the displaced water. A smaller balloon displaces less water. What then happens to the bouyant force?

i don't get it...

i thought the pressure increases as it goes down, so the balloon basically has to increase its pressure to meet the pressure of its exterior.. if its not that then i don't understand this

You can increase the pressure in a balloon by decreasing it's volume. Blow up a balloon and push on it. The harder you push the smaller it will get and the harder it will push back.

Related to Do You Understand Buoyant Forces in Water?

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics deals with the laws of motion and how objects interact with each other on a macroscopic scale. Quantum physics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale and how they interact with each other through the four fundamental forces.

2. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It consists of two parts: the special theory of relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and the general theory of relativity, which deals with objects in accelerated motion or in the presence of gravity.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a constant property of an object, while weight can vary depending on the gravitational pull of the planet or body the object is on.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is the language of physics, allowing scientists to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems. Through mathematical equations and formulas, physicists are able to make precise and accurate predictions about the natural world.

5. How does energy relate to physics?

Energy is a fundamental concept in physics, as it is the ability of a system to do work or produce change. In physics, energy can take many forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy, and it is often conserved in physical systems.