Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Question

• Thread starter universalbri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary, the speaker is building an application that generates Sonic Screwdriver sounds dynamically without using pre-recorded sounds on a loop. They are trying to determine the mathematical function needed to generate the frequencies, possibly involving a combination of sine and cosine functions over time. They have provided variables and sound shape functions but are still struggling to achieve the desired sound, which consists of many frequencies with sharp, rapid beats and varying amplitude. They are specifically seeking suggestions that utilize math, rather than pre-recorded sounds.
universalbri
Hello.

I'm building an application in which I'm dynamically generating the Sonic Screwdriver sounds, and not interested in using pre recorded sounds on a loop.

With this, I'm trying to figure out the mathematical function used to generate the frequencies. I'm no math pro, but I figure it's got something to do with a sine or cosine pairing over time (something like this:

Variables =
x= min(sin(t), cos(t))
y=max(300+200*cos(t), 300+200*sin(t))
z=max(300+200*cos(t*1.5), 300+200*sin(t*1.7))

Sound Shape
1=tan(t*2)*sin(x*y*600)*abs(sin(t/10))*abs(cos(t/5))
2=abs(sin(t*10))*sin(x*y)
3=sin(sin(z*t*0.1))

But this is generating a sound that's pretty far off the mark of what I'm trying to achieve.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm only looking for suggestions which use the math, not for pre recorded sounds.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The sound is made up of many frequencies, with sharp, rapid beats, and a lazy varying amplitude. Ie., try a waveform like this: Sin[30*2 Pi*t]*(0.5 Sin[2*2*Pi*t] + 2)*Sin[4100*2*Pi*t + Sin[4070*2*Pi*t]] where t is measured in seconds.

Last edited:

1. What is a Sonic Screwdriver in "Doctor Who"?

The Sonic Screwdriver is a versatile tool used by the Doctor in the popular British science fiction television series, "Doctor Who". It is a small, handheld device that emits a high-frequency sound wave, allowing the user to manipulate and control various objects and technology.

2. Can the Sonic Screwdriver do anything?

While the Sonic Screwdriver is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It cannot, for example, open a deadlock seal or work on wood. It also cannot kill or harm living beings. However, it has been shown to have a wide range of capabilities and can often solve complex problems in a matter of seconds.

3. Is the Sonic Screwdriver a real device?

Unfortunately, the Sonic Screwdriver does not exist in real life. It is a fictional device created for the "Doctor Who" series. However, there have been attempts to create working replicas of the Sonic Screwdriver by fans and toy companies.

4. How many different versions of the Sonic Screwdriver are there?

There have been numerous versions of the Sonic Screwdriver throughout the history of "Doctor Who". The first version was introduced in 1968 and there have been over 15 different designs since then. The latest version, used by the Thirteenth Doctor, was introduced in 2018.

5. Can anyone use the Sonic Screwdriver?

The Sonic Screwdriver can only be used by a Time Lord, like the Doctor, or someone with a Gallifreyan DNA. However, there have been instances where non-Time Lords have been able to use the Screwdriver, such as River Song who acquired Time Lord-like abilities. In general, though, only the Doctor and other Time Lords can fully utilize the capabilities of the Sonic Screwdriver.