Does a Taylor Series Exist for f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x?

In summary, there exists a Taylor series for the functions tanh(x)/x and ln(1+x)/x as long as they are infinitely differentiable at a certain point. The convergence of these series away from that point is uncertain. The binomial series and integration and division techniques can be used to find the series for ln(1+x)/x, with an interval of convergence of (-1, 1]. On the other hand, finding a nice series for tanh(x)/x is more complicated and requires brute force methods.
juice34
Is it correct that a taylor series does not exist for f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x. I differentiated to f'''(x) and fn(0) and all equal zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that as long as a function is infinitely differentiable at a point x = a, there exists a Taylor series for the function about that point. Whether the series converges to the function away from that point is a different matter. Since [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\tanh (x)}{x} = 1[/itex], I strongly suspect there is a Maclaurin series for tanh(x)/x. Similarly for ln(1+x)/x.

Using binomial series for 1/(1 + x), integration and division by x, I get

[tex]\frac{\ln (1+x)}{x}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^n}{n+1}[/tex]

with interval of convergence (-1, 1].

tanh(x) has no nice series and is not the integral or derivative of a series that is nice, so that one is sticky.

However, by brute force

[tex]\frac{\tanh (x)}{x}= 1 - \frac{x^2}{3} + \frac{2x^4}{15} - \frac{17x^6}{315} + O(x^8)[/tex]

--Elucidus

Last edited:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH Elucidus!:cool:

For hyperbolic tangent here is what math world gives:

Inline26.gif

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HyperbolicTangent.html

I'm not sure what the [tex]B_{n+1}[/tex] means. I would try and solve it by taking the product of two terms. On for the numerator and and one for the inverse of the denominator. For the inverse of the denominator I'd plug in each of the taylors series terms for an exponential function into the taylor series for 1/x and use the multinomial theorem.

Related to Does a Taylor Series Exist for f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x?

1. Does a Taylor Series exist for f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x?

Yes, a Taylor Series does exist for both of these functions. The Taylor Series for f(x)=tanh(x)/x can be derived by using the Maclaurin Series for tanh(x) and then dividing by x. The Taylor Series for f(x)=ln(1+x)/x can be found by using the Maclaurin Series for ln(1+x) and then dividing by x.

2. What is the general form of the Taylor Series for f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x?

The general form of the Taylor Series for f(x)=tanh(x)/x is:
f(x) = 1 + (x^2)/3 + (2x^4)/15 + (17x^6)/315 + ...
The general form for f(x)=ln(1+x)/x is:
f(x) = 1 - (x)/2 + (x^2)/12 - (x^3)/24 + (x^4)/80 - ...

3. How many terms should be used in the Taylor Series for f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x to get an accurate approximation?

The number of terms needed in the Taylor Series for f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x to get an accurate approximation can vary. However, it is recommended to use at least 5-6 terms for a reasonable approximation, and more terms can be added for a more precise result.

4. What is the radius of convergence for the Taylor Series of f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x?

The radius of convergence for the Taylor Series of f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x is infinite. This means that the series will converge for all values of x. However, it is important to note that the series may converge slowly for certain values of x.

5. Can the Taylor Series of f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x be used to find the values of these functions at any point?

Yes, the Taylor Series of f(x)=tanh(x)/x and f(x)=ln(1+x)/x can be used to approximate the values of these functions at any point. However, the accuracy of this approximation will depend on the number of terms used in the series and the value of x. It is recommended to use the series for values of x that are close to 0 for a more accurate result.