Does Acceleration Depend on Instantaneous Velocity Changes?

• B
  • Thread starter Carbon273
  • Start date
In summary, the question of whether acceleration depends on the change in instantaneous velocity is a nitpicky one, but clarification would help in understanding the concept. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in instantaneous velocity by the time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the limit as the time interval approaches zero. This applies to most Physics experiments, except for cases involving chaotic behavior.
Carbon273
This question is not really a problem but a conversation starter. I am studying physics for the fun of it and I do have a quick question. Does acceleration regardless if it is average or instantaneous depend upon the change in the instantaneous velocity? The reason I asked that is because most books that I have seen does not specify the velocity to being instantaneous (hence why I underlined it). Most books just say the change of velocity over time is the cause with no specification. I know this is nitpicky and an obvious question but it has been bothering me. Thanks for the help in advance.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Carbon273 and welcome to PF.

Carbon273 said:
Does acceleration regardless if it is average or instantaneous depend upon the change in the instantaneous velocity?
Yes. Average acceleration is the change in velocity (final minus initial instantaneous velocity) divided by the time interval over which this change takes place. Instantaneous acceleration is the same ratio but in the limit that the time interval becomes infinitesimally small, i.e. it is the slope of the velocity vs. time graph at some specific time.

Likes Carbon273 and Delta2
kuruman said:
Hi Carbon273 and welcome to PF.Yes. Average acceleration is the change in velocity (final minus initial instantaneous velocity) divided by the time interval over which this change takes place. Instantaneous acceleration is the same ratio but in the limit that the time interval becomes infinitesimally small, i.e. it is the slope of the velocity vs. time graph at some specific time.
That's interesting. Obviously, its an assumption the books wants you to have but clarification would help on their part. Thanks for the help.

kuruman said:
Instantaneous acceleration is the same ratio but in the limit that the time interval becomes infinitesimally small
This is the basis of differential calculus. It works for any relationship between variables where the function is "continuous and differentiable" within the limits you are considering. This actually means most basic ideas encountered in Physics except where the relationship 'goes to infinity' (very bad maths statement but it gives the message) or when there is a 'cusp' in the curve.
Whenever we do a set of measurements or spot calculations, we sort of assume that it's valid to draw a smooth curve through them and it's mostly ok for many Physics experiments. The magic word here is "LIMIT".
PS Phenomena involving Chaotic Behaviour cannot be treated this way because there is no continuous line relating Input and Output result.

Related to Does Acceleration Depend on Instantaneous Velocity Changes?

What is instantaneity?

Instantaneity refers to the quality of occurring or being done in an instant, or very quickly.

What is an example of something that is instantaneous?

An example of something that is instantaneous is the speed of light. It is the fastest speed at which anything can travel in the universe.

How is instantaneity related to science?

In science, instantaneity is often used in reference to the speed at which events occur or changes happen. It is an important concept in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

What is the difference between instantaneity and instantaneousness?

The terms instantaneity and instantaneousness are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Instantaneity refers to the quality of being instantaneous, while instantaneousness refers to the state or condition of being instantaneous.

Can anything truly be considered instantaneous?

According to the theory of relativity, the concept of true instantaneousness is not possible. Even the speed of light, which is the fastest speed possible, still takes time to travel a certain distance. However, for practical purposes, many events or changes can be considered instantaneous due to their extremely short duration.