Does acceleration slow time?

A.T.
Science Advisor
The fact that we know the particle is actually accelerating with regard to us means that we know it is actually getting speed with regard to us,
Not if it goes in circles. Centripetal acceleration doesn't increase speed.

timmdeeg
Gold Member
The fact that you are, right now, moving very rapidly in the rest frame of a particle in an accelerator at CERN does not cause your body to freeze instantly.
I know, I was interested in the answer. I wasn't sure about the meaning of "slowing down" as Raymond Potvin understands it.

Likes jbriggs444
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I know, I was interested in the answer. I wasn't sure about the meaning of "slowing down" as Raymond Potvin understands it.
Yes, but he DOESN'T understand it. He has not yet grasped differential aging due to different world-lines.

timmdeeg
Gold Member
If our own time dilation is unobservable, then any phenomenon that is happening inside us because of that is also unobservable.
It is unobservable for us, because in our frame nothing slows down which is at rest with us.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
It is unobservable for us, because in our frame nothing slows down which is at rest with us.
Actually, it's not that this "slowing down" that he thinks is happening is "unobservable", it's that it IS NOT HAPPENING. In our rest frame there is no "slowing down", no "time dilation", no nuttin'. @Raymond Potvin you really need to come to grips with differential aging and world lines and stop with this nonsense about "slowing down".

Actually, it's not that this "slowing down" that he thinks is happening is "unobservable", it's that it IS NOT HAPPENING. In our rest frame there is no "slowing down", no "time dilation", no nuttin'. @Raymond Potvin you really need to come to grips with differential aging and world lines and stop with this nonsense about "slowing down".
Note: rotating absorber in centrifuge dilates himself. That's why observer on the rim of rotating disc sees, that that clock in the center ticks faster. Two rotating observers on the opposite sides of rotating disc will not see any dilation (though they are in relative motion) since they dilate themselves on the same magnitude. It is experimentally proven fact. Two inertial observers, that momentarily coincide with those rotating observers on the rim, will not see any dilation of each other clock.
An observer, who moves in reference frame of another twin, will see that other twin's clock is ticking faster since his own clock dilates - R. Feynman, Feynman Lectures, Relativistic Effects in radiation.

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2019 Award
Two inertial observers, that momentarily coincide with those rotating observers on the rim, will not see any dilation of each other clock.
Yes, they will, because they are moving relative to each other.

It is experimentally proven fact.
What experiment are you thinking of? Please give a reference.

An observer, who moves in reference frame of another twin, will see that other twin's clock is ticking faster since his own clock dilates
You are misinterpreting this and misapplying it as well.

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2019 Award
Thread closed for moderation.