Does anyone build a telescope ?

In summary: I found a local supplier on craigslist that I'm going to try next.In summary,The author is looking for a guide to build a telescope and is looking for suggestions. A classic (somewhat dated, but a classic anyway) is Jean Texereau's book 'How to build a telescope'. Ingalls is still considered by many to be the bible for ATM. I've ground a small [~6"] mirror, but, I'm far from an expert. It is a pretty fun way to master an artisan skill on something fairly easy to buy anymore. You can buy a mirror now about as cheaply as you can a mirror kit, so it should be something that really interests you, as opposed
Vphysics2013
Hi
I am very much interested to build a telescope on my own.
I am looking for a complete guide to build a telescope and getting the apparatus needed ?
Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A classic (somewhat dated, but a classic anyway) is Jean Texereau's book 'How to build a telescope'.

Ingalls is still considered by many to be the bible for ATM. I've ground a small [~6"] mirror, but, I'm far from an expert. It is a pretty fun way to master an artisan skill on something fairly easy to buy anymore. You can buy a mirror now about as cheaply as you can a mirror kit, so it should be something that really interests you, as opposed to a work around for poverty. And the optics are just for starters. Putting together a decent mount is probably a bigger challenge than figuring a mirror. I would advise against grinding your own eyepieces, that is a real specialty at which few amateurs achieve proficiency. Even making mirror can be pretty tricky.

If Texereau is dated, the three volumes of Ingall's ATM are overdated... But they are useful, of course, and very informative... I bought the three volumes of ATM (and the 'Everyman's' version of Texereau, an excellent translation) 20 or 30 years ago, and I'm not sure if they are still available. At least, Texereau's book (in the original French: 'La construction du télescope d'amateur') is freely (and legally) available in the internet...

Yes, Ingalls is probably closer to a petroglyph than merely 'dated'.

thanks for the textbooks reference but could not get the proper link to download .
Chronos said:
Putting together a decent mount is probably a bigger challenge than figuring a mirror. I would advise against grinding your own eyepieces, that is a real specialty at which few amateurs achieve proficiency. Even making mirror can be pretty tricky.

I agree, mounting would be more challenging than getting mirrors . Still on the way to decide which telescope, refractor : reflector ?

Please check "Similar threads" at the bottom of the page, this was discussed many times in the past.

i have designed and built a small 3" f11 refractor. the optics are available from the suplus shed for about under $50. all the other parts are available from the Depot. only need a hacksaw and a screwdriver to put it together. total cost under about $80 usd. it is a two element acromat. good for planets and solar. I can send you all of the build details if you like. should be able to fully asemble it in a couple of hours or less. it is called the little golden telescope. it is simple to build and easy to use. here is a pic of it fully assembled with guide scope and tripod. ( can be baught , cheap servayours trypod about $40. the mount is a simple unifork altitude azimuth mount built out of scrap 4x2 timber. very solid and stable.

Attachments

• LGT(little golden telescope).jpg
    LGT(little golden telescope).jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 503
Ive used all youtube videos and kinda looked up each part as I went. The most difficult phase I have found is the figuring of the mirror into a paraboloid from a sphere. The foucault tester involved has to be very sensitive. So make sure to build a very sturdy tester. This is the best one I have found is here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=FL61C1Lsgudm9Db_s6qRQOag, the cheapest place for grinding/polishing supplies ishttp://firsthanddiscovery.com/. The blank itself is hard to find cheap. I got one on ebay for 13 dollars and it was beat to hell, but easy to clean up, unfortunately that was two years ago and I haven't seen another cheap one since. Here is the cheapest site I have found for blanks.http://www.telescopemirrorblanks.com/. I had to restart my mirror twice so I have a real good idea on what to do and what not to do.
Here is the best site for grinding and polishing directions. http://stellafane.org/tm/atm/. And for figuring I used thishttp://www.loptics.com/ATM/mirror_making/full_lap/full_lap.html and this http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/JoyOfMirrorMaking/Parabolizing.html. There is a good video explaining the different test types on the ATM link as well. I am sending my mirror off to be aluminized as we speak. Happy Grinding!

Mirror blanks can be hard to find and expensive. I bought grit from gotgrit.com, he was inexpensive but very slow. I think he is a one man garage operation.

montoyas7940 said:
Mirror blanks can be hard to find and expensive. I bought grit from gotgrit.com, he was inexpensive but very slow. I think he is a one man garage operation.
Yeah I agree. I looked for individual grit sizes on ebay and Amazon they were expensive.

if this is your first telescope build I would advise against grinding your own mirror. I would by a good quality parabolic aluminumized one. GSO in Taiwan make quality inexpensive ones.

Likes davenn
brianhurren said:
if this is your first telescope build I would advise against grinding your own mirror. I would by a good quality parabolic aluminumized one. GSO in Taiwan make quality inexpensive ones.

yup, buy a main and secondary set and spend your fun time on assembling the tune etc and getting the optics collimated ...
that's still going to give you a big challenge

Dave

1. How does a telescope work?

A telescope works by using lenses or mirrors to collect and focus light from distant objects. This focused light is then magnified and projected onto an eyepiece or camera for observation.

2. What are the main components of a telescope?

The main components of a telescope include the objective lens or mirror, which collects and focuses the light, and the eyepiece or camera, which magnifies and projects the image. Other important parts include the mount, which holds the telescope steady, and the focuser, which allows for fine-tuning of the image.

3. How long does it take to build a telescope?

The time it takes to build a telescope can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the design and the skill level of the builder. Some amateur telescopes can be built in a matter of days or weeks, while more advanced telescopes may take months or even years to construct.

4. Can I build my own telescope at home?

Yes, it is possible to build a telescope at home with the right materials and instructions. There are many DIY telescope kits and plans available online, and with some patience and basic tools, anyone can build their own telescope.

5. How much does it cost to build a telescope?

The cost of building a telescope can vary greatly depending on the size and complexity of the design, as well as the quality of materials used. A basic, homemade telescope can cost as little as $100, while more advanced models can cost thousands of dollars. It is also possible to purchase pre-made telescope kits or parts to reduce the cost and complexity of building from scratch.