Does Charmonium Decay into Two Photons Violate Parity Conservation?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the decay of a charmonium state into two photons and the violation of conservation of parity. The speaker argues that the parity of the photons after the decay does not match the parity of the charmonium state before the decay, but the other speaker points out that the photons could be in a P-wave and have a different parity.
Derivator
Hi,

one of my books says, that a charmonium [tex]c\bar c[/tex] in the sate [tex]1^1S_0[/tex] could decay into two phtons: [tex]c \bar c \rightarrow 2\gamma[/tex]

But I think, conservation of parity is violated (not allowed, since we have electromagnetic interaction)

Parity of a charmonium state is [tex](-1)^{L+1}[/tex], we have L=0, so before the decay we have a parity of -1.
Parity of a photon is -1, we have two photns, so the parity after the decay is +1

So, where have I made an error in reasoning?

--derivator

Physics news on Phys.org
The two photons can have mutually parallel polarization, and then the amplitude for their production has E.E, which is a scalar with [positive parity, or they have have mutually perpendicular polarization, corresponding to E.B, which is a psudoscalar with negative parity. In this case of psi decay, they have the perp polarization with negative parity.
This argument is not original with me. It was used by Yang over 50 years ago to propose a test to measure the parity of the pi zero meson. The experiment showed that the pi zero had negative parity.

Derivator said:
Hi,

one of my books says, that a charmonium [tex]c\bar c[/tex] in the sate [tex]1^1S_0[/tex] could decay into two phtons: [tex]c \bar c \rightarrow 2\gamma[/tex]

But I think, conservation of parity is violated (not allowed, since we have electromagnetic interaction)

Parity of a charmonium state is [tex](-1)^{L+1}[/tex], we have L=0, so before the decay we have a parity of -1.
Parity of a photon is -1, we have two photns, so the parity after the decay is +1

So, where have I made an error in reasoning?

--derivator

the photons could be in a P-wave, for example.

Related to Does Charmonium Decay into Two Photons Violate Parity Conservation?

1. What is Charmonium?

Charmonium is a bound state of a charm quark and an anti-charm quark that forms a meson. It is a type of quarkonium, a family of particles made up of a quark and an anti-quark.

2. How is Charmonium produced?

Charmonium can be produced in high-energy particle collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators like the Large Hadron Collider. It can also be produced through the decay of other particles containing a charm quark and an anti-charm quark.

3. What is the significance of Charmonium's two photon decay?

The two photon decay of Charmonium is significant because it provides important information about the internal structure and properties of the particle. By studying its decay, scientists can gain a better understanding of the strong force that binds quarks together.

4. What is the process of two photon decay?

In Charmonium's two photon decay, the particle emits two photons (particles of light) as it transitions to a lower energy state. This process is governed by the strong force, which is responsible for holding the quark and anti-quark together.

5. What can we learn from studying Charmonium's two photon decay?

Studying Charmonium's two photon decay can provide insights into the properties of the strong force and how it affects the behavior of quarks. It can also help us better understand the nature of matter and the fundamental forces that govern the universe.