Does dark energy violate the second law of thermodynamics?

In summary, dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe and is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It does not violate the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. While dark energy does not directly relate to the second law of thermodynamics, some theories suggest a potential connection through the concept of negative pressure. Currently, dark energy cannot be harnessed as a source of energy due to its uniform distribution throughout the universe. It is still a theoretical concept, but is supported by observations of the universe's expansion and large-scale structure.
Daveman20
Please explain.

Science news on Phys.org
No. I can't think of any reason why it would...

nicksauce said:
No. I can't think of any reason why it would...

It's known for having negative pressure, which I imagine to be like a system climbing up energy states. It's reverse pressure makes me think that there is some violation of the second law. Also, I've herd that the second law is just a tendency. Help very appreciated.

Last edited:

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. Does dark energy violate the second law of thermodynamics?

No, dark energy does not violate the second law of thermodynamics. This law states that the total entropy (or disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. Dark energy does not affect this principle as it is considered a constant and uniform energy density in the universe.

3. How does dark energy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

Dark energy does not directly relate to the second law of thermodynamics. However, some theories suggest that dark energy could be related to the concept of negative pressure, which is thought to contribute to the expansion of the universe and the increase of entropy over time.

4. Can dark energy be harnessed as a source of energy?

It is currently not possible to harness dark energy as a source of energy. This is because dark energy is believed to be uniformly distributed throughout the universe and is not easily accessible or convertible into usable energy.

5. Is dark energy a proven concept?

No, dark energy is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven. However, its existence is supported by observations of the accelerating expansion of the universe and its effects on the large-scale structure of the universe.