B The second law of the thermodynamics and philosophy

Summary
the second law implies in what kind of philosophical reasoning? would the universe simply "die"?
The second law of thermodynamics tells us that the amount of useful energy in an isolated system tends to decrease. Does this imply that mankind will reach a point where it cannot longer use any kind of energy? If so, do we have an estimate of how long it will be necessary for to haven't useful work?

Last edited:

PeroK

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Summary: the second law implies in what kind of philosophical reasoning? would the universe simply "die"?

The second law of thermodynamics tells us that the amount of useful energy in an isolated system tends to decrease. Does this imply that mankind will reach a point where it cannot longer use any kind of energy? If so, do we have an estimate of how long it will be necessary for to haven't useful work?
If you are worried about that you must be planning to stick around for a very long time.

is the earth a "closed system" since by definition a closed system is one that can exchange energy outside of its barriers.. (but not mass) is the 2nd law ONLY applicable for closed and isolated systems? AND if the earth is closed, why is it not "open" if we do exchange mass with the universe. we take on meteors, cosmic rays, particles and we send out space craft. so technically, it should be open correct?

A.T.

Science Advisor
Its been awhile, but i was under the impression that the 2nd law only applies to isolated or closed systems. makes sense, since if a system is open, usable energy could always be added from out side of that system.

i meant "entropy" not the 2nd law.... i suppose there is universal application of the 2nd law in open, closed or isolated systems, but entropy i was of the understanding that it only applied to closed or isolated systems. No?

i meant "entropy" not the 2nd law.... i suppose there is universal application of the 2nd law in open, closed or isolated systems, but entropy i was of the understanding that it only applied to closed or isolated systems. No?
No. Entropy is a physical property of each material comprising a system, and the system can be open or closed. Also, there are open system versions of both the first law of thermodynamics and the 2nd law of thermodynamics.