Does Dark Matter Interact with Itself in Black Holes?

In summary: This is because otherwise the dark matter would just agglomerate into bigger and bigger clumps.What does this mean for dark matter?In summary, dark matter is a particle that barely interacts with other particles and can only congregate near gravitational pools.
Justice Hunter
Hey so i have a naive question that i always had since i was young, but i never really could find an answer to it.

Lets say you have a black hole isolated in a vacuum, in a closed system.

Dark matter is supposed to be a sort of weakly interacting massive particle, which exerts a gravitational pull(?), and undergoes gravitational influence.

If dark matter is introduced into the system with the black hole, wouldn't the black hole "suck it in" and grow?

Physics news on Phys.org
If dark matter falls into a black hole, the black hole grows, just as if normal matter falls into it.

Likes Justice Hunter
Orodruin said:
If dark matter falls into a black hole, the black hole grows, just as if normal matter falls into it.

Ah okay thank you. I've always thought that would be the case. It seems like a simple enough experiment to prove that dark matter is really a particle. Then again, setting up a black hole in a lab is no easy task.

I guess i also have another follow up question. i believe Dark matter is said to barely interact with other dark matter particles (?), so normally they wouldn't be able to congregate at all. However, they can congregate near gravitational pools (curvatures in space-time)

Does this mean that dark matter can only congregate in the presence of visible matter?

Justice Hunter said:
It seems like a simple enough experiment to prove that dark matter is really a particle.

How do you think this would show that dark matter is a particle?

Justice Hunter said:
Then again, setting up a black hole in a lab is no easy task.

Any black hole of lab size would evaporate essentially immediately due to Hawking radiation.
Also, just that there is a black hole does not mean that a lot of dark matter would fall into it, the dark matter would have to be captured by the black hole first and this is just normal gravitation.

Justice Hunter said:
I guess i also have another follow up question. i believe Dark matter is said to barely interact with other dark matter particles (?), so normally they wouldn't be able to congregate at all. However, they can congregate near gravitational pools (curvatures in space-time)

Does this mean that dark matter can only congregate in the presence of visible matter?

In fact, it is the other way around. Dark matter structures formed long before matter was cool enough to start forming structures. This plays a key role in our current view of structure formation in the early Universe.

Orodruin said:
In fact, it is the other way around. Dark matter structures formed long before matter was cool enough to start forming structures. This plays a key role in our current view of structure formation in the early Universe.
Ah okay! So dark matter particles DO interact with each other?

Orodruin said:
How do you think this would show that dark matter is a particle?

There would be no other DM candidates I'm sure.

Interesting. Indeed, what happens when dark matter falls into an accretion disk?
Would it heat up and start to radiate ? Friction might be low with only gravitational interaction.
Thermal gravitational waves perhaps?

Justice Hunter said:
Ah okay! So dark matter particles DO interact with each other?

In thermal production of dark matter in the early Universe, it is necessary that dark matter interacts with cross sections of the same order as weak cross sections.

Related to Does Dark Matter Interact with Itself in Black Holes?

1. What is a black hole thought experiment?

A black hole thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario used by scientists to explore the properties and behaviors of black holes. It involves creating a theoretical situation and using scientific principles to predict the possible outcomes.

2. How do black hole thought experiments help us understand black holes?

By creating thought experiments, scientists can examine the effects of different factors on black holes, such as mass and rotation. This allows us to better understand the complex nature of these objects and make predictions about their behavior and interactions with other celestial bodies.

3. Are black hole thought experiments based on real observations?

While black hole thought experiments are based on scientific principles and theories, they are not necessarily based on direct observations. Some aspects of black holes, such as their event horizon, cannot be directly observed, so thought experiments allow scientists to explore these phenomena in a theoretical way.

4. Can black hole thought experiments be tested?

Since black holes are not directly observable, it is not possible to test black hole thought experiments in a traditional scientific sense. However, thought experiments can be used to make predictions about observable phenomena, such as the bending of light near a black hole, which can then be tested through observations and experiments.

5. Do black hole thought experiments have practical applications?

While black hole thought experiments may seem purely theoretical, they have practical applications in areas such as astrophysics and space exploration. By understanding the properties and behavior of black holes, we can better understand the universe and potentially develop technologies to study and potentially harness their power.