HOF: Is It Known to Exist at Normal Temperatures?

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, the answer is no, since even oxygen becomes a cation against fluorine to form OF2, how can fluorine become a cation over oxygen? This is almost impossible, at least, at normal and low temperatures. At very high (plasma-forming) temperatures, something weird can happen, but I am still not sure about this.
maverick280857
Hi

The question is merely this: is HOF known to exist at normal temperatures? Sounds dumb but half a dozen are for it (and so half a dozen against it).

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The answer is no, since even oxygen becomes a cation against fluorine to form OF2, how can fluorine become a cation over oxygen? This is almost impossible, at least, at normal and low temperatures. At very high (plasma-forming) temperatures, something weird can happen, but I am still not sure about this.

My opinion is that HOF cannot exist on our planet ;-)

Chem_tr : you forgot to consider one possibility. It is a crystalline solid. :biggrin:

http://srdata.nist.gov/cccbdb/exp2.asp?casno=14034798#Gurvich

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, I didn't understand this one... The formal charges say that, if I calculated correctly, fluorine has 1+ value which is absurd. On the other hand, oxygen must be 2+, which will cause hydrogen to be a hydride hydrogen as in BH3. Any ideas?

I guess it is possible if you consider that each atom does not necessarily contribute a whole number of electrons to the covalent bonds...but I'm not entirely convinced that this will be very stable, given the charges below.

http://www.colby.edu/chemistry/webmo/HOF.html

According to this, the actual charges are :

H : +0.4
O : -0.3
F : -0.1

Surely it must be difficult to force -0.3 on O and -0.1 on F, but I guess it may be possible if you have bonding between two very electronegative atoms (they tend to cancel each other off ?).

It also says that :

1. A bonding orbital for O1-F2 with 1.9989 electrons has 40.03% O 1 character in a p3 hybrid and 59.97% F 2 character in a p3 hybrid.

2. A bonding orbital for O1-H3 with 1.9962 electrons has 73.62% O 1 character in a s0.80 p3 hybrid and 26.38% H 3 character in a s orbital

I do not understand one thing here. It says (in #1) that the O-F bonding orbital is p3 hybrid, not sp3. How is this possible ?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information and links...the original problem was to rank halo-oxy acids (HOCl, HOBr, HOI) in order of acidity and the natural question was why HOF wasn't on the list. Though we still do not know if it exists just as well as HOCl and HOBr do but it's still there. So thanks again :smile:...

Cheers
Vivek

Related to HOF: Is It Known to Exist at Normal Temperatures?

What is HOF?

HOF, or hypofluorous acid, is a highly reactive and unstable chemical compound composed of fluorine, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms.

Can HOF exist at normal temperatures?

No, HOF is known to only exist at extremely low temperatures (-100 degrees Celsius or lower) due to its high reactivity and tendency to decompose.

What are the potential uses of HOF?

HOF has been studied for its potential use in organic synthesis and as a strong oxidizing agent in chemical reactions.

How is HOF synthesized?

HOF can be synthesized by reacting fluorine gas and water at low temperatures, typically through a process known as electrosynthesis.

Is HOF dangerous to handle?

Yes, HOF is highly corrosive and can cause severe burns upon contact with skin. It should only be handled by trained professionals in a controlled laboratory setting.