Can NaCl Dissolve in 1.00 M HCl Solution?

In summary, if you spill a 2M solution of NaOH on your hand, it will start to itch and it will saponify your skin.
Shay10825
Hi everyone!

I just have a quick question. If I took NaCl and put it in a 1.00 M HCl solution, would the NaCl dissolve?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In a 1.0M solution of HCl there is 55mol of water and 1mol of HCl - so you are really asking would NaCl dissolve in water ?

It'd be gone in an instant.

Shay10825 said:
Hi everyone!

I just have a quick question. If I took NaCl and put it in a 1.00 M HCl solution, would the NaCl dissolve?

Thanks

Yes, but not all of it, if it's greater than its solubility at a specific temperature.
So your question should have better been (for example): "how much NaCl will dissolve in 1 L 1.00 M HCl at room temperature?"

If it was a 1.00 M HCL solution and one liter is implied that is a frikkin lot of salt.

Riogho said:
If it was a 1.00 M HCL solution and one liter is implied that is a frikkin lot of salt.

Uuuhhh, not so much.

Riogho said:
NaCl solubility in water is about 358 g/L at 20°C. But of course it shouldn't necessarily have to be 1 L, it was just an example, if you take 1 ml of water it would be 0.358 g, it's not difficult to make the computation!

Multipy that by one thousand and that is enough salt to make me puke, therefore: frikkin lot.

We found 6 Molar HCL in our chem lab just sitting on a book case with a load of other chemicals.

Haha, that's great. I made a 2 M solution of NaOH the other day and spilled it on my hand it hurt like hell!

Riogho said:
Haha, that's great. I made a 2 M solution of NaOH the other day and spilled it on my hand it hurt like hell!
That's revelating your chemistry knowledge: what you wrote is completely false. If you spill 2M NaOH in your hand you don't even notice the difference with water, just a soapy feeling when you touch that point in your hand with a finger.
If 2M NaOH spills in your eyes, instead, the consequences are much worse because you can very probably have your cornea damaged.

Last edited:
Shay10825 said:
Hi everyone!

Thanks
The solubility of NaCl at room temperature is around 35g NaCl/100g H2O, so it should dissolve as long as you are trying to dissolve less than about 30% NaCl by weight.

lightarrow said:
That's revelating your chemistry knowledge: what you wrote is completely false. If you spill 2M NaOH in your hand you don't even notice the difference with water, just a soapy feeling when you touch that point in your hand with a finger.
If 2M NaOH spills in your eyes, instead, the consequences are much worse because you can very probably have your cornea damaged.

Tell that to the hand.

I've spilled much higher concentrations of NaOH on my hand and you don't feel anything immediately. It does get that soapy feeling when you wash it off (it is essentially saponifying your skin!). If it is concentrated enough, it will start to itch a lot though.

I can confirm that NaOH does dissolve jeans - I don't remember it hurting.

Making up solutions of NaOH from the Salt + Water

Tip: Wear gloves, i got a half spatula full on my index finger and it felt like my skin was messed up for a while..

...Didnt hurt though O-o

1. Does NaCl dissolve in HCl?

Yes, NaCl (sodium chloride) does dissolve in HCl (hydrochloric acid). This is because HCl is a strong acid that can dissociate into H+ and Cl- ions, while NaCl can dissociate into Na+ and Cl- ions. The attraction between these ions allows for the dissolution of NaCl in HCl.

2. What is the chemical equation for the dissolution of NaCl in HCl?

The chemical equation for the dissolution of NaCl in HCl is:
NaCl (s) + HCl (aq) → Na+ (aq) + Cl- (aq) + H2O (l)

3. Does the concentration of HCl affect the dissolution of NaCl?

Yes, the concentration of HCl can affect the dissolution of NaCl. The higher the concentration of HCl, the more H+ ions are present, which can increase the rate of dissociation and dissolution of NaCl.

4. Is the temperature a factor in the dissolution of NaCl in HCl?

Yes, temperature can affect the dissolution of NaCl in HCl. Generally, as temperature increases, the solubility of most substances also increases. This means that higher temperatures can lead to a faster and more complete dissolution of NaCl in HCl.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the dissolution of NaCl in HCl?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the dissolution of NaCl in HCl, such as the surface area of the NaCl particles, the presence of other dissolved substances, and the pH of the solution. All of these factors can influence the dissociation and dissolution of NaCl in HCl.