Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does QM end Free Will/ Determinism debate ?

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    Hello :smile:

I think my question is clear...
    Another questions that need to be asked:
    • What about the deterministic interpretations of QM?
      and
    • Do indeterministic interpretations PROVE that there is really no causality on subatomic level ?
    Please help me! I am more than a little confused about the meaning of this concepts. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I'm afraid it's not. :frown:

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    Hi
    Check this out please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLR5vNKiSw

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Quantum physics does not make the universe purely random as quantum effects become probabilistic on the macro scale (thus is my understanding).

As for the determinism/free will debate I rarely hear anyone adequately explain what they mean by "free will". The three schools I thought I've learnt of are determinism, compatabilism and libertarianism (not to be confused with the political/economic philosophy). The first of these states that all actions are pre-determined so free-will does not exist, the latter claims that something unique about conscious decision making means that cause and effect do not apply to it (a religious claim if there ever was one). The middle philosophy which I subscribe to highlights that even though some actions may be inevitable (or probable) we still have experience and knowledge of decision making and so they are useful terms that we can utilise.

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Van Dort!

The debate is far from over, for a variety of reasons. First, there are viable determininstic and indeterministic interpretations currently on the table. Second, I doubt that eliminating one or the other will fully settle anything. There is a lot of room for philosophical discussion of what free will is anyway. Ditto for causality.

7. Oct 11, 2011 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook