Does small angle mean small angular velocity?

• I
  • Thread starter Happiness
  • Start date
Why is the term ##(\sin\theta\,\dot{\theta})^2## fourth order in the small ##\theta##, as claimed by the sentence below (5.108)?

By small-angle approximation, ##(\sin\theta\,\dot{\theta})^2\approx\theta^2\,\dot{\theta}^2##.

For this to be fourth order, it seems like we must have ##\theta=\dot{\theta}##. Why is this true? What are the conditions for this to be true?

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 5.14.16 pm.png

Answers and Replies

wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
For this to be fourth order, it seems like we must have θ=˙θ\theta=\dot{\theta}. Why is this true?
why quantities of different dimension must be equal? They must not. David Morin wrote a good book but definitely not for high school

why quantities of different dimension must be equal? They must not. David Morin wrote a good book but definitely not for high school

So is he right or wrong?

wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
So is he right or wrong?
My advice is that you should first think about your own understanding whether it is right or wrong.

My advice is that you should first think about your own understanding whether it is right or wrong.

My understanding is that ##(\sin\theta\,\dot{\theta})^2## is second order in ##\theta##. But that would mean that it cannot be ignored, since (5.109) contains second-order terms.

wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The degree of the term ## \theta^2\dot \theta^2## is equal to 2+2=4. It is a degree of polynomial ##P(\theta,\dot \theta)= \theta^2\dot \theta^2##. Both quantities ## \theta,\dot \theta## are assumed to be small. The approximation of the Lagrangian up to the second order terms corresponds to linearization of the Lagrange equations in the vicinity of equilibrium

Last edited:
Likes mfb and Happiness
Here it is important that θ is small, but the timescale is not. ##\dot \theta## is "something with θ divided by time", which is small of θ is small.