1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Does small angle mean small angular velocity?

1. Aug 4, 2016 #1
    Why is the term ##(\sin\theta\,\dot{\theta})^2## fourth order in the small ##\theta##, as claimed by the sentence below (5.108)?

By small-angle approximation, ##(\sin\theta\,\dot{\theta})^2\approx\theta^2\,\dot{\theta}^2##.

For this to be fourth order, it seems like we must have ##\theta=\dot{\theta}##. Why is this true? What are the conditions for this to be true?

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 5.14.16 pm.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2016 #2
    why quantities of different dimension must be equal? They must not. David Morin wrote a good book but definitely not for high school

4. Aug 4, 2016 #3
    So is he right or wrong?

5. Aug 4, 2016 #4
    My advice is that you should first think about your own understanding whether it is right or wrong.

6. Aug 4, 2016 #5
    My understanding is that ##(\sin\theta\,\dot{\theta})^2## is second order in ##\theta##. But that would mean that it cannot be ignored, since (5.109) contains second-order terms.

7. Aug 4, 2016 #6
    The degree of the term ## \theta^2\dot \theta^2## is equal to 2+2=4. It is a degree of polynomial ##P(\theta,\dot \theta)= \theta^2\dot \theta^2##. Both quantities ## \theta,\dot \theta## are assumed to be small. The approximation of the Lagrangian up to the second order terms corresponds to linearization of the Lagrange equations in the vicinity of equilibrium

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  8. Aug 4, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Here it is important that θ is small, but the timescale is not. ##\dot \theta## is "something with θ divided by time", which is small of θ is small.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted