Does the formula v=∆x/(cos⁡θt) give the TOTAL velocity of a projectile

In summary, Homework Statement The author is doing an experiment to determine the velocity of a hose when fully turned on. The results of the experiment were that the velocity was 6.392830414 m/s.
Ben1

Homework Statement

I'm doing an experiment where I'm trying to determine the velocity of a hose when fully turned on using projectile motion. I projected the hose at different angles (15,30,45,60,75,90 degrees) doing 3 tests on each 1. Here is an example I made with the a set of results -

At an angle of 15 degrees from the ground, a hose is turned on. It has a time of flight of 0.4 seconds and a horizontal range of 2.47 meters.

Homework Equations

v=∆x/(cos⁡θt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Horizontal range = v * cos θ * t
2.47 = v * cos 15 * 0.4
v = 2.47 ÷ (cos 15 * 0.4) = 6.392830414 m/s

Is this the TOTAL velocity of the water coming from the hose?

I've asked this question before but somebody told me that this was only the initial velocity, not the actual velocity of the water from the hose and now I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
where-ever you got that equation, it should not have been presented in that format.
if you launch an object with velocity v , that is elevated by angle ⁡θ above horizontal,
then the horizontal displacement during time t is ∆x = (v cos⁡θ) t
... the (v cos⁡θ) is just the horizontal velocity component.

The key issue with projectiles is figuring out how long (t) the thing is in the air.
on level ground, your 2.47m/s water only stays in the air 0.13s.

But it wasn't 2.47 m/s, it was 2.47 m. So is the answer still wrong?

yeah, you pretended it spent .4s in the air. ... what do you think its vertical speed was, at the beginning?

Why do you think I pretended?

sorry, your post #3 did not all display when I posted my #4.

if the (full) initial speed had been 6.39 m/s, its upward portion would have started at 1.65m/s,
and it would've spent .34 s in the air , is that close enough to 0.4 s ?

is this 0.4s measured in the experiment? That would be unusual, and tricky to accomplish with precision.
(measuring the angle is easy, measuring range with water maybe not)

I did 3 tests for all of the angles... To time the water I used a camera, filmed it and then slowed it down on my computer.
For 15 degrees, I got 2.47 m, 2.40 m, and 2.43 m (range of each test, average of 2.43 m) and 0.40 s, 0.38 s, and 0.36 s (time of flight for each test, average of 0.37 s). The average velocity for 15 degrees was 6.64 m/s. I'm just unsure if this is the velocity of the water.

trusting your time and horizontal distance measurements, that equation will provide the entire (diagonal) speed.

how high above the landing-spot was the nozzle opening? (that will slightly increase the flight time).

its was about 7 cm above, but I could just include that in my report as error or measure the range from where the nozzle is closest to the ground and include it in the displacement. I know that would be inaccurate but there is room for inaccuracies for this assignment.

1. What is the formula for calculating the total velocity of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the total velocity of a projectile is v=∆x/(cos⁡θt), where v is the total velocity, ∆x is the displacement, θ is the angle of launch, and t is the time of flight.

2. How is the total velocity of a projectile different from its initial velocity?

The initial velocity of a projectile refers to its speed and direction at the moment of launch. The total velocity, on the other hand, takes into account the changes in speed and direction that occur during the projectile's flight.

3. Can the formula for total velocity be applied to all types of projectiles?

Yes, the formula v=∆x/(cos⁡θt) can be applied to all types of projectiles, regardless of their initial velocity, angle of launch, or time of flight.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the total velocity of a projectile?

The angle of launch affects the total velocity of a projectile because it determines the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity. A lower angle of launch will result in a higher vertical velocity and a shorter time of flight, while a higher angle of launch will result in a lower vertical velocity and a longer time of flight.

5. Is the total velocity of a projectile affected by external factors such as air resistance?

Yes, the total velocity of a projectile can be affected by external factors such as air resistance. In reality, projectiles experience air resistance, which can slow down their total velocity and change their trajectory. However, the formula v=∆x/(cos⁡θt) assumes ideal conditions with no air resistance.