Does the inertia of matter change in a black hole?

In summary, the speaker asked if the inertia of matter changes in a black hole during a physics class and is looking for an answer to this question. Another user expressed confusion about the question and reminded the speaker that the community does not do homework for them.
Carlos Torres
Hi everyone, I was in physics class and the professor asked if the inertia of matter changes in a black hole and I would like to know if anyone has the answer to this question.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Carlos Torres said:
Hi everyone, I was in physics class and the professor asked if the inertia of matter changes in a black hole and I would like to know if anyone has the answer to this question.
What do you think and why?

Likes berkeman
That seems a slightly odd question. Is that exactly how it was asked? From your user name I guess that the question may not have been asked in English, but in that case please translate as carefully as possible. And do note phinds' reply - we're happy to help, but at PF we don't do homework for you.

Last edited:

1. What is inertia of matter?

Inertia of matter refers to the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is a property of matter that causes it to resist any changes in its velocity or direction of motion.

2. How is inertia affected by gravity?

Inertia is directly affected by gravity. The stronger the gravitational force acting on an object, the greater its inertia will be. This means that objects with more mass will have a greater resistance to changes in motion caused by gravity.

3. Does the inertia of matter change in a black hole?

Yes, the inertia of matter does change in a black hole. As an object approaches the event horizon of a black hole, the gravitational force becomes stronger and the object's inertia increases. Once the object crosses the event horizon, its inertia becomes infinite, meaning it can no longer escape the black hole's gravitational pull.

4. Can the inertia of matter be measured in a black hole?

No, the inertia of matter cannot be measured in a black hole. This is because once an object crosses the event horizon, it becomes impossible to retrieve any information or measurements from it. The extreme gravitational forces and time dilation also make it difficult to accurately measure inertia in the vicinity of a black hole.

5. Does the inertia of matter change in different types of black holes?

Yes, the inertia of matter can vary in different types of black holes. The size and mass of a black hole can affect the strength of its gravitational pull and therefore, the inertia of objects within its event horizon. Additionally, the spin and charge of a black hole can also impact the inertia of matter within it.