Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the US administration owe an apology to the French ?

1. Yes.

24 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No.

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Aug 24, 2005 #1

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, provocative title. The point is that during and shortly after the decision to go to war in Iraq, there was an organized "French bashing" by the US administration, mainly because vile Chirac and De Villepin tried by all means to stop the brave US from going to war. Besides obvious different political and economical interests on both sides, the main french argument was that the war would cause a lot of trouble and not make the world safer.

With some hindsight, should the US administration offer some form of apologies for the "hate for everything French", and recognize that their viewpoint wasn't so silly after all (and maybe they should have taken it more into account), or stand by their initial statements ?

I know of course that not only the French were against the war, but also the Germans, Russians, Chinese and so on ; but only the French - to my understanding - were targetted in an organized hate campaign.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2
    Damn, i wanted to vote yes, but i mistake the button!!!! Sorry... :cry:

4. Aug 24, 2005 #3
    It might help international opinion. And the US could use any help as they can get in that area right now.

5. Aug 24, 2005 #4
    Is there any evidence that the French-bashing was triggered by the Bush administration? I'd have thought any contrary thinking to the infallible leader of the free world would be enough to drive a significant portion of the US public to foam at the mouth with frenzied hatred without any hinting from the government. The only thing I can think of was Rumsfeld's "I'm interested in new Europe, not old Europe" quote, but that hardly counts.

6. Aug 24, 2005 #5

kat

Hahahahahahaha!

7. Aug 24, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rather than a targeted apology a minute display of regret and the drift would start closing. Wouldn't mind a :cry: apology but since when has anyone been sorry for their doings in this day and age.

8. Aug 24, 2005 #7

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was also the famous "let's forgive the Russians, ignore the Germans, and punish the French" by miss Rice, no ?

And the famous "freedom fries"

And...

(ok, small hints from the Boss ?)

9. Aug 24, 2005 #8
    that was patetic.... :yuck:

10. Aug 24, 2005 #9

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

patatic ? :tongue2:

11. Aug 24, 2005 #10
    I think he was going for Pathetic.

12. Aug 24, 2005 #11
    Is sepuku out of the question? :bugeye:

13. Aug 24, 2005 #12
    Rice said that? What a cow! I never liked her after her whole "Your politics are yours, our politics are ours" response to Bush & co leaving the UK holding the WMD baby. Are you sure that's a valid quote? How the hell can a politician of her status get away with such blatent racism?

Was "freedom fries" an administration jibe? I thought it was the clever American people who thought that one up. (I read somewhere that French fries were named after a person whose surname was French, not France itself - I really hope that's true!)

14. Aug 24, 2005 #13

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Aug 24, 2005 #14

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that apologies would be accepted over here :biggrin:

16. Aug 24, 2005 #15
    It is, but that wasn't the point. The former name of the Freedom Bird wasn't named after the country either. Fries are from Belgium, not France.

17. Aug 24, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No. The French were involved in illegal arms and illicit oil purchasing. This is why they were against the war. The Russians and Germans also had similar illegal contracts out. The Chinese are the Chinese, what can you say. The French government owes the world an appology for lieing to the world about its reasons to protest the war.

18. Aug 24, 2005 #17
  19. Aug 24, 2005 #18

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We went already a few times over this. Contrary to the obvious link between the oil industry and the US administration, there is no such link between the french policy makers and those contracts. Popularity was a much higher incentive for the French politicians than some obscure trades.

THIS is the real reason I'm so pissed with those freedom fries ! :rofl:

20. Aug 24, 2005 #19
    Yes, I found lots of news reports citing that quote as being 'widely reported' as one of Rice's. But I think the originator of that line was actually Washington Post's Jim Hoagland - the only person I've seen directly quoted (as opposed to 'widely reported to have said') - as describing Rice's 'mantra'. I wouldn't take that as a direct quote, more a chinese whisper of one man's impression of Rice.

The bit about the "bill that would fund the repatriation of remains of U.S. servicemen who died in World Wars I or II and were buried in France" is bizarre, though again not attributable to Bush's gang. What this article, and many others, does demonstrate is the atrocious attitude Americans can have towards other nations, simply because of a disagreement over one policy (forget decades of allegiance, this is "with-us-or-against-us" America now). Even in an editorial, the fact that this kind of hate speech is propogated and accepted speaks volumes on the phenomenon of anti-Americanism that so many members of this very forum get so b***y about. The thing to remember is: so many Americans are anti-anti-Americans first that they should really shut their traps.

I'm going to vote 'no'. I think the Bush administration should apologise to bereaved families in Afghanistan and Iraq, not to mention America, and to those innocent people tortured, mentally or physically, in the name of the 'war on terror'. And I think Bush, Blair & co should apologise to the people of the world for making their world such a dangerous place to live in. The French won't lose any sleep about the renaming of a side-order in some retarded, in-bred hillbilly's piece-of-sh*t diner.

21. Aug 24, 2005 #20
    No, it is the point cos it's FUNNY! That it was supposed to be an insult to the French but had nothing to do with them is hilarious to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?