Does the velocity of sound change when the source moves?

In summary, the velocity of sound does not change if the source moves. This conflicts with the equation v_air = v_s + V, as the velocity of sound waves relative to the room is V + v_air, and relative to the receiver is V + v_air - v_r. The velocity of the source only affects the frequency, not the actual velocity of the sound waves. This concept helps explain the Doppler effect.
Hamal_Arietis

Homework Statement

Will the velocity of sound change if the source moves?

Homework Equations

The velocity of velocity of sound in air equals:
$$V=\sqrt{\frac{\gamma RT}{M}}=const$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it doesn't change. But it seems to conflict with the equation :
$$\vec{v_{air}}=\vec{v_s}+\vec{V}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Hamal_Arietis said:

Homework Statement

Will the velocity of sound change if the source moves?

Homework Equations

The velocity of velocity of sound in air equals:
$$V=\sqrt{\frac{\gamma RT}{M}}=const$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it doesn't change. But it seems to conflict with the equation :
$$\vec{v_{air}}=\vec{v_s}+\vec{V}$$
Please explain what each velocity represents in that last equation.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
In room reference frame
##v_{air}## is the velocity of sound that observer receives. ##v_s## is velocity of source and ## V ## is the velocity of sound if source doesn't move.

Hamal_Arietis said:
In room reference frame
##v_{air}## is the velocity of sound that observer receives. ##v_s## is velocity of source and ## V ## is the velocity of sound if source doesn't move.
I don't understand.
In the room reference frame, the source, receiver and air may all have a velocity, and the sound has a velocity relative to the air.
Let's call these vs, vr, va, and V respectively, all measured in the same direction.

What does your equation look like in those terms? You seem to be saying that the sound arrives at the receiver with speed V+vs-vr, but that is not true. No matter how the source moves, the velocity of the sound waves relative to the room is V+va, and relative to the receiver is V+va-vr. The frequency is another matter.

Sorry .I seem air and receiver don't move. And source comes near observer. So the velocity of sound that obsever receives v=vs+ V

Hamal_Arietis said:
Sorry .I seem air and receiver don't move. And source comes near observer. So the velocity of sound that obsever receives v=vs+ V
No, as I posted, the velocity of the source does not affect the velocity of the sound waves. It does affect the frequency.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
Thanks a lot for helping. I understanded.
Answering this question helps me prove the Dopper effect.

Related to Does the velocity of sound change when the source moves?

1. What is the velocity of sound?

The velocity of sound is the speed at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air, water, or solids. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is the velocity of sound affected by temperature?

The velocity of sound is directly proportional to temperature. As temperature increases, the molecules in the medium vibrate faster, allowing sound waves to travel faster. On average, the speed of sound increases by about 0.6 m/s for every degree Celsius increase in temperature.

3. Does the velocity of sound vary in different mediums?

Yes, the velocity of sound is affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through. For example, sound travels faster in solids compared to liquids and even faster in liquids compared to gases. This is because the molecules in a solid are closer together, allowing for faster transmission of sound waves.

4. How does altitude affect the velocity of sound?

The speed of sound decreases with increasing altitude. This is because air becomes less dense at higher altitudes, making it harder for sound waves to travel through. As a result, sound travels slower at higher altitudes than at sea level.

5. Can the velocity of sound be changed by external factors?

Yes, the velocity of sound can be affected by external factors such as wind, humidity, and air pressure. These factors can alter the density and temperature of the medium, thereby affecting the speed of sound. Additionally, the presence of obstacles or temperature gradients can also impact the velocity of sound.